2013 Summer Songs: Making and Breaking Artists

John Marenkovic, Sophomore Staff Writer

Summer is at its end and kids are going back to school, but the songs of summer still remain in our hearts and in our heads.  This summer maintained a chart of songs that had come out earlier, but managed to hold their spots on the charts.  Imagine Dragons came out with their new album, Night Visions, which had their most popular hit, “Radioactive.”  The song made it to the top 10 in twelve different countries for good reason.  It’s a perfect blend of harmony, and the driving beat make it Imagine Dragon’s best song yet.  Another song, “Can’t Hold Us” by Macklemore was definitely one of my favorites, staying in the top 100 for the past 40 weeks.  It’s a perfect blend of brass section solo, and the weird but awesome beat makes Macklemore a hit.

However, on the controversial side, we have Miley Cyrus’s “We Can’t Stop,” which shows us that she certainly doesn’t want to be Hanna Montana anymore.  Her song stands at the number three spot for the charts.  Her rather edgy performance at the VMA’s this year has shocked many of her fans, causing her to lose a lot of her traditional base and attracting instead a slightly older party crowd.  Many have labeled her performance at the VMA’s as Cyrus’s crash-and-burn.

That’s a short recap of some of the good and bad songs of summer.