September Movie Smash Review

Allie Perry, Junior Staff Writer

According to a 2010 National Consumer Study reported online, the largest movie going audience is young adults–those 18-24.  Students at HHS make up a large percentage of those moviegoers, and this month, they are anticipating some potential smash hits.

Some of the most anticipated movies this month include: The Magnificent Seven, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, and Bridget Jones’s Baby. The Magnificent Seven, released on September 23rd, stars Denzel Washington and Chris Pratt. It revives the classic western genre and tells the story of an old west town fighting to stay afloat against a greedy industrialist and the resolution of this conflict.  The movies 2 million dollar budget may explain the sour response it got from critics.The movie received a 7.2/10 from IMDB, a 62% from Rotten Tomatoes, and a 54% from Metacritic.  Many of those who are critical are saying that the movie was a cheap try at a classic western, which succeeds only in portraying Denzel Washington as a gunslinger. Many fans feel the same way, do not back the new revival, finding it to be a half-baked try at the classic favorite.

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children stars fan favorites Eva Green as Miss Peregrine and Asa Butterfleid  as Jake. Butterfleid, is also well-known for her part inr Ender’s Game, and The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, released on September 30th, is the much anticipated movie based on the novel by Ransom Riggs. The movie brings to life the magical tale of a young boy named Jake who is left clues to a magical place by his grandfather. Jake must decide if he will follow his destiny, which includes expressing peculiar talents of his own, or remain in his boring present life with his somewhat unappreciative family. Although sites like IMBD gave the movie only a 7.2/10 and a 62% from Rotten Tomatoes, most fans are overjoyed by the movie and many claim it to be Tim Burton’s best work since Sleepy Hollow. With a 110 million dollar budget the movies graphics are promising. A book-to-movie adaptation is always risky, but many are siding with the movie adaptation, claiming it was done right.

The third installment to the classic rom-coms, the Bridget Jones movie series, has fans thrilled for the revival of their beloved, bungling heroine. In Bridget Jones’s Baby audiences see the return of original cast members Renee Zellwegar and Colin Firth.  This storyline picks up after Bridget broke up with Mark Darcy and finds herself in another predicament yet again, involving the classic love triangle. The movie had a budget of only 35 million dollars. The movie, released on September 16th, has received a 7.5/10 from IMDB and a 78% from Rotten Tomatoes.  Many fans who disliked the sequel say it was just more slap-stick comedy with nothing new to offer the viewers. Contrarily, other fans enjoyed the movie strictly for nostalgic reasons and loved seeing their favorite character on screen once again.

Some students shared their most anticipated movie choice. Junior Zach Resatar stated, “I’m definitely most excited for Bridget Jones’s Baby. I love a good scandal, and the comedy is classic.” Another student, Senior Celeste Wilbois remarked,  “I’m most excited for Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. I’m so happy to see one of my favorite books come to life.” As October is approaching, there are a few movies that look promising during the Halloween season; three in particular hold promise:  31, a horror movie;  Ouija: Origin of Evil, and Jack Reacher: Never Go Back. Check back next month for a review of these movies and student commentaries on each.

Feb_Movie_Month_Report_sans_copy.pptChristy James

Allie Perry, Global News Editor

Allie Perry is a senior staff member and Global News Editor of the HUB. Allie has been a HUB staff member for two years now, and she enjoys writing...

• September Movie Smash Review

Poetry

Storm

• September Movie Smash Review

Arts & Entertainment

The Top Five Scary Films

• September Movie Smash Review

Movies

Avengers: Infinity War is Successful as Summer Smash

• September Movie Smash Review

Arts & Entertainment

My Lilac Sky

• September Movie Smash Review

Arts & Entertainment

Web of Lies: Part One

• September Movie Smash Review

Arts & Entertainment

Crying for Your Love

• September Movie Smash Review

Movies

Cinema Scares Come to Life

• September Movie Smash Review

Arts & Entertainment

Kingsman: The Golden Circle: “First Time Satire, Second Time Farce”

• September Movie Smash Review

Arts & Entertainment

Get Out: Thrills, Terror and Twists

• Arts & Entertainment

“The Guy”

September Movie Smash Review