Cinema Scares Come to Life

Anthony Trobek, Sophomore Staff Writer

Movies were invented with the intended purpose of entertainment. Many people go to see a movie to escape the real world and enjoy themselves for a couple of hours with their friends or family. Among the many genres of movies, horror films are easily one of the most popular among viewers. Horror is defined as “an intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust.”  Being horrified can not be a good feeling, but could you imagine having some of these horrifying events happen to you in real life? Some surprisingly popular films based on real life events include the American classic Psycho.

According to online sources, Psycho is a movie that is loosely based on the events that unraveled in Wisconsin during the 1950s. A serial killer named Ed Gein went on killing spree near his hometown of Plainfield, Wisconsin. Ed murdered two women and confessed to both murders, and also confessed to over forty accounts of grave robbery. The most chilling part of Ed’s story however, begins in his very own home. When police entered Ed’s home to begin a routine search, what they found was unfathomable. The police discovered that Ed’s furniture had been made of human bones and skin, as well as a cooking apron made out of his victim’s flesh!  

When asked his thoughts about the story, HHS sophomore student Anthony Romo said, “That Ed is a very sick and grim human being.”  Just about anybody would agree with that determination.

Another popular film based on a real life horror is The Conjuring. The Conjuring is a film that was released in 2013 that is based on the case files of Ed and Lorraine Warren. The case files were on the haunting of the Perron family that occurred during the 1970’s. There were documented accounts of possession and paranormal activity in the home during the Warren’s investigation, along with multiple eye witnesses. According to sources, there were many spirits that lived in the home, but the most violent was named Bathsheba. She allegedly physically harmed the residents of the home. She also supposedly possessed family member Carolyn Perron. Scenes in the movie show that there was an exorcism performed in the home, but Lorraine Warren herself has claimed this to be fictional. She did state, however, that a seance performed in the home caused Carolyn to speak an unknown language and levitate in her chair moments before being thrown across the room.

When asked his opinion on the film’s credibility, Dylan Brown, a sophomore here at HHS, said: “I feel that the film is mostly accurate, but not 100 percent true.”  The Warrens appear to agree with that consensus.

Lastly, there is The Exorcist. According to sources, The Exorcist is based on the chilling exorcism of a boy in 1949 who was given the pseudonym Roland Doe to protect his true identity. The boy started out talking and playing with spirits that lived in his home, and his parents labeled this as “imaginary games and innocent fun” until they began to hear angry voices and see furniture thrown around the home. They also discovered scratches on their son, so they enlisted for the help of a local priest. There were many attempts to exorcise the evil spirit from the boy’s body, and he was finally clear of the demon the day after Easter of 1949.

When asked if he believed in exorcisms or the story of this particular case as presented in the movie, Sophomore Cam Resatar said, “No, I do not think that a person can be possessed.”  Some would strongly disagree with Cam, especially particularly religious people who believe in the power of the devil.

The debate on whether there is any reality to these horror movies is still ongoing; however, some of the students here at HHS find these horror film stories to be very real. Others, not so much. One thing is true, they’ve inspired some very real, very crazy off-screen nightmares, and perhaps that’s what makes them most memorable after all.

http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/conjuring.php

https://moviepilot.com/posts/3560679

http://www.blumhouse.com/2016/09/22/the-true-story-that-influenced-the-exorcist-the-possession-of-ronald-hunkeler/

Anthony Trobek, JuniorStaff Writer
  • A.J. Trobek is currently a junior at Hubbard High School. During his second year as a Hub Staff member, A.J. hopes he is able to express his fondness for writing in a professional, but compelling manner. He loves sports and has always been very interested in global news stories. He is going to try his best to write each article with a student friendly approach.
  • A.J. takes all CCP and honors classes which include: CCP Algebra and Trigonometry, CCP Government, CCP Chemistry, and Honors English 3. He is also enrolled in French 3 as well as Video Production. For the third year running, he is a member of the French Club. A.J. plays club soccer for Soccer Vision Academy and Fury Soccer Club, a club that is based out of West Virginia. He plays club soccer from November to June. A.J. is a member of the HHS Varsity Boys Soccer team as well. He was given an athletic letter during his freshman and sophomore years and was chosen to be a captain for his sophomore and junior years. He won the Coaches Award in his sophomore season as well.
  • After graduation, A.J. hopes to receive his undergraduate degree in biology and continue his soccer career at the collegiate level at either the Ohio State University or Akron University. His ultimate goal, however, is to receive his degree in veterinary medicine at Ohio State University.  After this, he hopes to live near Akron, Ohio and be a successful veterinarian.
  • Cinema Scares Come to Life

Movies

Avengers: Infinity War is Successful as Summer Smash

• Cinema Scares Come to Life

Arts & Entertainment

Kingsman: The Golden Circle: “First Time Satire, Second Time Farce”

• Cinema Scares Come to Life

Arts & Entertainment

Get Out: Thrills, Terror and Twists

• Cinema Scares Come to Life

Movies

Dr. Strange: Mysticism, Magic and Marvel

• Cinema Scares Come to Life

Arts & Entertainment

September Movie Smash Review

• Cinema Scares Come to Life

Movies

Upcoming Movie Highlights

• Cinema Scares Come to Life

Arts & Entertainment

The Visit: A Suspenseful View, Surprisingly

• Cinema Scares Come to Life

Movies

Mockingjay Movie Review

• Cinema Scares Come to Life

Arts & Entertainment

“Blown Away” by Country Star

• Cinema Scares Come to Life

Arts & Entertainment

Gatsby: The Symbolism You didn’t quite Catch

Cinema Scares Come to Life