The History of Halloween: Holiday Series Part I

Halloween pumpkin head jack lantern with burning candles over wooden background. Halloween holidays art design, celebration. Carved Halloween Pumpkins with burning candles

Chloe Ryhal, Junior Staff Writer

As fall approaches students at Hubbard High are getting anxious for the festivities that come with the beloved holiday of Halloween. Senior student Allie Perry says, “My favorite part of the holiday has to be handing out candy to trick or treaters. The kids are always so cute.”

This holiday makes us realize that there is so much more to love about fall besides the colorful changes in the leaves and the sweater weather. When most people think of Halloween today, we think of parties and dressing up as every ghoul and goblin in the book. Although the celebrations are about to begin, there’s a lot that we don’t know about the origin of Halloween.

According to online sources, the idea of Halloween dates back to an ancient Celtic Festival used to celebrate the end of the harvest season. Many people also used these festivities to communicate with the dead, believing that this “All Hallow’s Eve” was a special time to connect with the afterlife. On the other hand, many wore costumes to ward off the ghosts they felt were roaming. Historically, in the 1800’s, Pope Gregory created “All Saints Day” to honor all the saints. Thus, the day before came to be known as “All Hallow’s Eve,” and later Halloween. Halloween was first introduced into America in the late 19th century.

Costumes were used even in ancient practices, according to sources, but the way they had been worn has changed a lot over the years. They were used in a religious way in ancient times; however, costumes are used today as a tradition. Costumes are used along with the practice of trick or treating, which also originated from the Celts The Celtic people would dress up in disguises and go door to door begging for food. Although their purposes have changed, costumes and trick or treating have become a big part of our autumn traditions. A poll taken in an 11th grade HHS Honors English class showed that only five students (out of the 13 who voted) still go trick or treating; these people go for the bonus of free candy, and because they must take younger siblings. The other eight people said that they don’t go trick or treating. Junior Meg Spain explained, “I don’t go trick or treating anymore because I’m growing up.”

Picking pumpkins and carving them, dressing up as a skeleton or one’s favorite super hero, going around with friends and family knocking on doors and collecting candy–whatever one’s traditions, Halloween is a holiday for people young and old, and it isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

Sources
http://www.history.com/topics/halloween/history-of-halloween
https://www.livescience.com/40596-history-of-halloween.html
https://www.trueghosttales.com/history-halloween-costumes.php

Chloe Ryhal, Senior Staff Writer
Chloe Ryhal is going into her Senior year at Hubbard High School, and she hopes to make this year the best one yet. As this will be her second and final year of the HUB, Chloe hopes to make it something special. She originally joined the HUB because of her passion for writing, and that...
  • The History of Halloween: Holiday Series Part I

Features

Top Teen Shows at Hubbard High

Features

Migos Concert Disappoints Many

Features

Santa’s Secret Past

Features

Ten Reasons You’re on the Naughty List

Features

Christmas Movie Choices for HHS

Features

Five Fun Fall Activities

Features

X or 8: Which iPhone Appeals to You?

Features

The Art of Beauty

Features

Not Just Strong for a Girl….Just Strong

Features

Cheerleading Preview 2016