Christmas Movie Choices for HHS

Jackie Adler, Sophomore Staff Writer

The most wonderful time of the year is right around the corner. Christmas time brings smiles on everyone’s faces. This holiday includes many traditions, such as baking cookies, giving gifts, decorating, driving around to look at houses glowing with Christmas lights, getting ready for Santa Claus, and one of everyone’s favorites–watching Christmas movies. There are so many enjoyable Christmas movies that spread holiday cheer throughout the air.

Out of all the great Christmas movies, five of the most popular are Elf, The Grinch, Home Alone, A Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation. It’s hard to decide on a favorite between these five, but this writer’s  personal favorite has always been Home Alone. Who could forget the famous scene where the main character, Kevin, decorates his house and acts like his family is having a Christmas party to keep the burglars away?  In reality, Kevin’s family left him at home when they traveled to New York for Christmas. The rest of the movie centers on Kevin’s adventures as he tries to survive while he is “home alone.”

HHS Sophomore Grace Ryser named her favorite as Christmas Vacation. Grace explains that she enjoys the humor in the movie and the Griswald family. As many travel along looking at holiday decorations, they are sure to find one house which resembles the Griswald’s, and causes the viewer to suffer from overstimulation. Clark Griswald certainly goes all out. Sophomore Cassie Herberger said her favorite Christmas movie is The Grinch. The Grinch represents the absence of the spirit of Christmas. He doesn’t believe in Christmas because of some disappointing moments in his childhood, but the Whos of Whoville show him the real meaning behind this holiday, and he grows to love it.

After taking a Christmas Movie Favorites Survey of some junior students in Mrs. Shattucks’s English classes, the results came in as follows: 25 students favored The Grinch, while 21 chose Home Alone; 19 favored Elf, and another 12 favored A Christmas Story; lastly, 9 favored Christmas Vacation. Certainly there are other favorites not even included in this list–A Wonderful Life, The Santa Clause, etc., but the above made the top cut.

Hopefully this holiday season, you’ll find time to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the season and enjoy one of these all-time favorite Christmas movies. There’s nothing better than the glow of the fire in the fireplace, drinking hot chocolate and settling in for some down time to enjoy a Christmas movie.

• Christmas Movie Choices for HHS

Top Stories

Very Superstitious

• Christmas Movie Choices for HHS

Top Stories

Should Sex Determine Military Service?

• Christmas Movie Choices for HHS

Top Stories

Conspiracy Theories Part Three: Mind Control Mania

• Christmas Movie Choices for HHS

Top Stories

The Five Highest and Five Lowest Paying College Majors

• Christmas Movie Choices for HHS

Top Stories

No Sports Totally Safe for Student Athletes

• Christmas Movie Choices for HHS

Top Stories

What to Do in a Winter Wonderland

• Christmas Movie Choices for HHS

Top Stories

Life Doesn’t Imitate Art: Ten Lies We Learn from TV Dating Shows

• Christmas Movie Choices for HHS

Top Stories

Conspiracy Theories Part Two: The Pentagon UFO Video-Is it ET or the Military?

• Christmas Movie Choices for HHS

Top Stories

The Down and Dirty on Eating Disorders

• Christmas Movie Choices for HHS

Top Stories

Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Christmas Movie Choices for HHS