Childhood Lies Propagated by Parents

Taylor Pegg, Senior Staff Writer

As a child almost everyone believed in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, and surprisingly, those beliefs were propagated strongly by parents.

Children are often scared to lose teeth, but they’re excited to see what the fictional creature, the Tooth Fairy, will put under their pillows. Most children stop believing the Tooth Fairy to be real when they stop losing teeth; they become curious as to where their teeth went and ask many questions until they find out. Senior Chloe Ryhal comments on the Tooth Fairy: “My mom kept bags of my older sisters’ teeth in the medicine cabinet, and I was looking for medicine when I found the bags. I questioned my mom as to why they were there, and she explained that the Tooth Fairy gives them back. I just eventually put two-and-two together”.

According to CNN, 85% of young children believe Santa Claus is real. Santa Claus is the number one belief fabricated as a reality, in fact.  And who could not believe? In the small town of Hubbard, the community has “Santa’s House” in Tylee Park every year. Malls bring Santa in for pictures and visits, and the post office provides drop boxes for Christmas wish list mail to be sent to the North Pole. Even NORAD helps to propagate this belief.  CNN explains: “Wary children can follow Santa’s journey around the world by satellite on Christmas Eve, thanks to the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), which started its holiday tradition in 1955. NORAD, like Coleman, also suggests that ‘the only logical conclusion is that Santa somehow functions within his own time-space continuum.’ “

The Easter Bunny is a folkloric symbol for Easter.  It is another belief encouraged by parents, and was originally created to help a child maintain good behavior during the eastertide season, states sources. The Easter Bunny is also known for bringing baskets full of candy on Easter morning, but often children have to find it because the bunny may hide it.  Most children stop believing the Easter Bunny to be real until just before they turn 8, 9 or 10 years old.

In fact, 9 or 10 seem to be the magical age when these beliefs begin to disappear.  One source explains the science behind this shift: “This shift in belief from age 5 to 10 has some psychology behind it. The influential child psychologist Jean Piaget proposed that around age 8 children enter the ‘concrete operational stage’ of thinking — a critical, observant phase of questioning impossible things.”  It is this questioning curiosity that makes children begin to doubt. And children, then teens, continue to doubt and question much about what their parents have told them for a good many years.

Most children look up to parents and adults. They want to emulate them when they grow up. However, once in high school, nearing graduation, some seniors realize that they don’t actually want to  grow up anymore. “I don’t want to grow up because I don’t want to have the responsibilities of having to know what college I’m going to go to and what major I’m going into. That’s a lot of stress on a 15 year old,” states sophomore Emily Filicky.  Perhaps, at this point, students might like to turn back that time machine and once again embrace those beliefs that made them feel most child-like and protected.

Source: https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/growth-curve/science-kids-belief-santa

https://www.cnn.com/2011/12/09/living/santa-truth/index.html

Taylor Pegg, Senior Staff Writer

A first year HUB member, Taylor Pegg is a journalist and a photographer. Taylor essentially joined the HUB because she enjoys writing and capturing...

• Childhood Lies Propagated by Parents

Features

Let’s Tally Trick or Treat

• Childhood Lies Propagated by Parents

Features

Halloween Hails Students’ Sweet Tooth

• Childhood Lies Propagated by Parents

Features

Fall Flavors that Tempt our Tastebuds

• Childhood Lies Propagated by Parents

Features

Top Teen Shows at Hubbard High

• Childhood Lies Propagated by Parents

Features

Migos Concert Disappoints Many

• Childhood Lies Propagated by Parents

Features

Santa’s Secret Past

• Childhood Lies Propagated by Parents

Features

Ten Reasons You’re on the Naughty List

• Childhood Lies Propagated by Parents

Features

Christmas Movie Choices for HHS

• Childhood Lies Propagated by Parents

Features

Five Fun Fall Activities

• Childhood Lies Propagated by Parents

Features

The History of Halloween: Holiday Series Part I

Childhood Lies Propagated by Parents