HHS Football Season Recap: A Strong Season

Kaitlyn Thompson, Junior Staff Writer

With yet another football season behind us here at Hubbard High School, many achievements were reached. There was history being made, not only by players, but by coaches as well.  All in all, it was a strong season for the Hubbard Eagles. Were you there to see some history being made? 

For the 2021-2022 season, the Eagles final record was 10-2, with losses to the South Range Raiders and the Canfield Cardinals. The team made it to the second round of the playoffs, then ended their season after that second game. Though this wasn’t the ideal end to the season, many other worthwhile accomplishments occurred throughout this season. 

The Eagles started off strong with a win against Norwayne with a score of 48-28. Then, the HHS football team achieved their first win in school history against Cardinal Mooney High School with the final of 21-19. After this big win, the following week the Eagles played Cleveland Shaw and finished with a score of 47-14.  They also came out on top with a win during a tough game against Poland Seminary High school in week 4, finishing with the close score of 27-23. Their next game was on the road at Struthers, and the Eagles brought home the win, holding the Wildcats to zero points, with Hubbard scoring 34. Rolling onto week 6, the Eagles defeated Jefferson, finishing with 46-7. Then, they continued to have a running clock against Lakeview the next week, with the final score of 49-7. Next Hubbard was on to Girard, and this game had everyone feeling anxious due to the rivalry against the Indians. “Going into the Girard game I felt really good, and I knew it was going to be a good game. They always put up a good fight against us,” stated Junior Ben Wilcox. This game finished with the Eagles on top and a final score of 29-15. Next week, the Eagles headed to Niles and came home with a victory score of 48-13. The final regular season game was the NEO 8 Conference Championships against South Range. The Eagles lost this game with a devastating score of 0-34. Junior Ben Cheney says, “It was tough losing in the conference championship, but as a team we wanted to go into the playoffs ready to play.”

After this end to the regular season, the Eagles headed on to playoffs where they went two rounds. The first round ended with a victory against New Philadelphia with the score of 39-20. Then unfortunately, the Eagles fell in the second round of playoffs with a season ending score of 7-21.

Through this season, senior T.C. Caffey had many achievements. He was the third person in HHS history to get 2000+ rushing yards in a season. Not only did he enter the Hubbard High School’s record books, but he also entered the OSHAA record books. TC also earned a spot in the OSHAA record books in categories such as 15th most rushing yards in a game (456 years), and he tied for 20th most rushing touchdowns in a season (37 touchdowns), and 27th most rushing yards in a season (2,638 yards). 

Coach Brian Hoffman had some achievements himself. He broke the record of having the most wins as a Hubbard coach. He broke the record at 122 career wins, and he finished out the season with 124 wins. 

This strong season is leaving fans and players excited to see what is next to come for the Eagles. Junior Ava Pantone says, “I’m excited to see what next year’s team will bring to the table.” Best of luck to the upcoming 2022-2023 football team and their season. 

Photo Credit: Mike Wilcox