Lessons Learned from Hurricane Harvey

Lukas Mosora, Junior Staff Writer

A catastrophic storm has left a path of destruction and devastation, forced homelessness on some and tragic death on others, yet there is much that students of HHS can learn from such a natural disaster.

Downgraded to a tropical storm on August 26th, 2017, Harvey left thousands of people without power as water filled the streets. Some areas of southeast Texas, such as Houston, received over 50 inches of rainfall, breaking the previous record of 48 inches from Tropical Storm Amelia in 1978, sources state. U.S. officials have said nearly a half million people will seek federal aid.

Tropical Storm Harvey came close to being the most costly storm in  history, following Hurricane Katrina closely, according to online sources. Harvey slammed the coast on August 25th as a category four hurricane. It was later weakened to a tropical storm. Many struggled with how to cope, but some students here at HHS felt that Americans were lucky. “America is much more financially stable than some other countries, and we are always able to come together as one to solve our problems,”said junior Max Korenyi-Both. Max is not the only one who believes America can get through this tragedy.

Professional football player J.J. Watt may be one of the best defensive football players in NFL history. At a whopping 6’5” 289 lbs., J.J. is known for terrorizing offenses in the NFL. Since Harvey has hit, Watt has been on a mission to help with the costs of the storm. According to online sources: “Watt set out to raise $200,000 in aid to Houston and the effects of Harvey.” It seemed to many like a rather large goal, but many felt it was possible. Watt has not only met his goal, but has accumulated an enormous $30M in funds for those affected by Harvey. Watt received donations from many, including Drake, Jimmy Fallon, Chris Paul, and other celebrities.

HHS students had much to say on the importance of generosity.  “Harvey represents a time in which citizens come together to assist one another,” says Michael Curran. Many may not have believed in the kindness of people to help others in need, but J.J. Watt and others like him have proved that the people of America are resilient. Harvey, a devastating storm leaving many stranded and close to 30 dead, left many in despair. However, through this travesty, it has been shown yet again that America is as strong as it gets. “We’ve been through so much, and we will continue to find ways to fight through it,” says Michael Curran, one of Hubbard’s top academic students. Americans are there for each other when fellow Americans need it, and Harvey was just another example of that lesson.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-texas-harvey-20170829-story.html

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/05/news/companies/jj-watt-harvey-houston/index.html

Lukas Mosora, Junior Staff Writer
A first year HUB member, Lukas Mosora is currently a junior at Hubbard High School. Lukas was very excited to join the Hub as soon as he could. He is interested in writing about current events going on in the world today. While writing articles, he hopes to learn about new subjects and keep up...
  • Lessons Learned from Hurricane Harvey

News

Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

• Lessons Learned from Hurricane Harvey

News

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: What the Monarchy Means to America

• Lessons Learned from Hurricane Harvey

News

The Death Penalty: Should It Survive?

• Lessons Learned from Hurricane Harvey

News

The History of Rock and Roll

• Lessons Learned from Hurricane Harvey

News

What’s Up with Upside-Down Christmas Trees?

• Lessons Learned from Hurricane Harvey

News

NFL Players Refuse Anthem Respect in Protest of Racial Rights

• Lessons Learned from Hurricane Harvey

News

Heroes in Blue: The Loss of Officer Leo

• Lessons Learned from Hurricane Harvey

News

Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

• Lessons Learned from Hurricane Harvey

News

History Behind Sadie Hawkins Day

• Lessons Learned from Hurricane Harvey

News

The Real Consequences of Academic Dishonesty

Lessons Learned from Hurricane Harvey