History Behind Sadie Hawkins Day

History Behind Sadie Hawkins Day

Mikey VanSuch, Junior Staff Writer

November has arrived and almost past as the winter weather kicks in.  Freezing winds, the anticipation of Winter Break, Christmas movies, and the holiday spirit are upon us!  One of the most remarkable days of November just recently past, known as Sadie Hawkins Day.  Many schools across the nation have a Sadie Hawkins Dance in dedication of this day.  The custom for this dance is that the girls are supposed to ask the guys to the dance, not the other way around.  You know, when the girls become nervous and get butterflies and everyone in school is trying to figure out who is asking whom?  That’s the fun of Sadie Hawkins–taking a traditional role assigned to guys and twisting it.

Everybody’s heard of it, but just how did Sadie Hawkins Day come to be?  Bella Bornes, a junior at Hubbard High, gave her opinion: “I just thought people wanted another school dance that would be fun and a little different from the norm.”  Another student at Hubbard High School, Senior Grace Slaina, reflected: “I thought some girls started a trend of asking the boys to a dance and it became a popular thing to do.”  So how did the Sadie Hawkins Dance really come to be?

Believe it or not, according to online sources, Sadie Hawkins actually originates from a comic strip.  Al Capp, the cartoonist of the comic strip Lil’ Abner, created a fictional story about a girl named Sadie Hawkins.  Sadie was described as an unappealing and plain girl who had no suitors.  Her father, Hekzebiah Hawkins, wanted to get his daughter married and out of the house.  He organized a foot race, somewhat similar to a hunt, including all the single men in the area.  The men were given a head start, and Sadie had to chase after them.  If Sadie were to catch one of the guys, she got to marry him.  This story was loved by millions of readers, especially women.  Girls enjoyed the idea of pursuing men for a change.  Sadie Hawkins was so popular, a tradition was created upon her story.  Sadie Hawkins dances are still held every year throughout high school all across the nation.

The history behind Sadie Hawkins is not commonly known, as this comic was created in the 1930’s.  Many teens are surprised when they hear about its history.  “That’s amazing.  We have a dance that’s completely based off of a comic strip.  I never thought that was even possible,” says Nader Kassem, a sophomore.  This year, Hubbard’s Sadie Hawkins dance took place on Tuesday, November 21, right before Thanksgiving break, and students here observe a newer custom–to dress like their partners. Needless to say, many guys were captured by the girls who pursued them.

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/53n8xa/the-history-of-sadie-hawkins-day