Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

Jenna Kelver, Junior Staff Writer

According to online sources, a phobia is “an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something”, and phobias qualify as a form of anxiety disorder. They usually develop when a person is in a stressful situation or has had a frightening moment. Children and teens are most likely to project different phobias. According to sources, when a person encounters his or her phobia,  it causes the person to panic, have a rapid heartbeat, exhibit shortness of breath and a strong desire to get away from the situation.

This reporter determined  to interview a few fellow classmates to find out what their weirdest phobias are. These aren’t your everyday phobias of spiders and heights or clowns. These ones are particularly interesting and certainly bizarre:

1.) The Fear of Feet–”Podophobia does exist and is quite a common specific fear affecting many people across the globe. The word Podophobia originates from Greek ‘Podos’ meaning feet. People with Podophobia tend to get upset at the sight of feet.” Here at HHS, junior Emily King exhibits this phobia.  She states:  “I am afraid of feet. They are gross and weird looking” Emily’s fear is called Podophobia. She told me that her fear started at the age of ten and they have bothered her since.

2.)The Fear of Geese or Ducks— According to sources, “Anatidaephobia is one such phobia. A person suffering from this condition feels that somewhere in the world, a duck or a goose is watching him/her (not attacking or touching, simply watching the individual).”  Taylor Pegg, a junior here at HHS explains when asked about her phobia:  “I’m afraid of geese because when I was three I got attacked by a group of them.”

3.) The Fear of Spiral Staircases–Shannon Slovesko, another junior, explains his fear:  “I’m afraid of windy stairs because when I was younger I had a dream that I fell down the stairs, and I didn’t stop falling.” There is no technical name for this phobia, but it certainly exists.

4.) The Fear of Losing Control of Arms–There is technically no real name for this fear either; however, that doesn’t mean that some people don’t suffer from it.  One such victim is sophomore A.J. Nation who states:  “I’m afraid that one day I’ll just lose control of my arms. The thought of not being able to use my arms just scared me.”

5.) Fear of the Abominable Snowman–Sophomore Mackenzie Zubyk tells of a particular fear that relates to most children’s fear of monsters, her fear of the Abominable Snowman from the original Christmas show, Rudolph.  She explains:   “ He just walks weird, and it creeps me out. They say he’s a nice character but I don’t trust it. I fear that he’s going to turn and try to eat all the other reindeer.” According to sources, “Teraphobia or the fear of monsters is extremely common in pre-school-age children. It generally lessens during the early elementary years and is highly uncommon by the time a child reaches middle school. In teens and adults, the fear of monsters is a rare but potentially life-limiting phobia.”

So here at HHS, it appears that these five strange fears ranging from the bizarre to the humorous do exist. Most of these fears that this reporter’s fellow classmates suffer from were caused by different past experiences, dreams, or events that  made some feel uncomfortable. What is one of your strangest phobias?  

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/phobi

http://www.fearof.net/fear-of-feet-phobia-podophobia/

http://www.fearof.net/fear-of-ducks-phobia-anatidaephobia/

Jenna Kelver, Junior Staff Writer
At the beginning of her third year at Hubbard High School, Jenna Kelver is a first-year HUB staff member. Jenna has always enjoyed writing in her classes and wanted to express her talents for The HUB. Writing for The HUB has been an activity that Jenna has wanted to do since her freshman year, and...
  • Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

News

Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

• Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

News

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: What the Monarchy Means to America

• Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

News

The Death Penalty: Should It Survive?

• Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

News

The History of Rock and Roll

• Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

News

What’s Up with Upside-Down Christmas Trees?

• Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

News

NFL Players Refuse Anthem Respect in Protest of Racial Rights

• Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

News

Heroes in Blue: The Loss of Officer Leo

• Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

News

History Behind Sadie Hawkins Day

• Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

News

The Real Consequences of Academic Dishonesty

• Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

News

Humanitarian Crisis in Puerto Rico

Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS