Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

Jenna Kelver, Junior Staff Writer

According to online sources, a phobia is “an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something”, and phobias qualify as a form of anxiety disorder. They usually develop when a person is in a stressful situation or has had a frightening moment. Children and teens are most likely to project different phobias. According to sources, when a person encounters his or her phobia,  it causes the person to panic, have a rapid heartbeat, exhibit shortness of breath and a strong desire to get away from the situation.

This reporter determined  to interview a few fellow classmates to find out what their weirdest phobias are. These aren’t your everyday phobias of spiders and heights or clowns. These ones are particularly interesting and certainly bizarre:

1.) The Fear of Feet–”Podophobia does exist and is quite a common specific fear affecting many people across the globe. The word Podophobia originates from Greek ‘Podos’ meaning feet. People with Podophobia tend to get upset at the sight of feet.” Here at HHS, junior Emily King exhibits this phobia.  She states:  “I am afraid of feet. They are gross and weird looking” Emily’s fear is called Podophobia. She told me that her fear started at the age of ten and they have bothered her since.

2.)The Fear of Geese or Ducks— According to sources, “Anatidaephobia is one such phobia. A person suffering from this condition feels that somewhere in the world, a duck or a goose is watching him/her (not attacking or touching, simply watching the individual).”  Taylor Pegg, a junior here at HHS explains when asked about her phobia:  “I’m afraid of geese because when I was three I got attacked by a group of them.”

3.) The Fear of Spiral Staircases–Shannon Slovesko, another junior, explains his fear:  “I’m afraid of windy stairs because when I was younger I had a dream that I fell down the stairs, and I didn’t stop falling.” There is no technical name for this phobia, but it certainly exists.

4.) The Fear of Losing Control of Arms–There is technically no real name for this fear either; however, that doesn’t mean that some people don’t suffer from it.  One such victim is sophomore A.J. Nation who states:  “I’m afraid that one day I’ll just lose control of my arms. The thought of not being able to use my arms just scared me.”

5.) Fear of the Abominable Snowman–Sophomore Mackenzie Zubyk tells of a particular fear that relates to most children’s fear of monsters, her fear of the Abominable Snowman from the original Christmas show, Rudolph.  She explains:   “ He just walks weird, and it creeps me out. They say he’s a nice character but I don’t trust it. I fear that he’s going to turn and try to eat all the other reindeer.” According to sources, “Teraphobia or the fear of monsters is extremely common in pre-school-age children. It generally lessens during the early elementary years and is highly uncommon by the time a child reaches middle school. In teens and adults, the fear of monsters is a rare but potentially life-limiting phobia.”

So here at HHS, it appears that these five strange fears ranging from the bizarre to the humorous do exist. Most of these fears that this reporter’s fellow classmates suffer from were caused by different past experiences, dreams, or events that  made some feel uncomfortable. What is one of your strangest phobias?  

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/phobi

http://www.fearof.net/fear-of-feet-phobia-podophobia/

http://www.fearof.net/fear-of-ducks-phobia-anatidaephobia/

• Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

Top Stories

What to Do in a Winter Wonderland

• Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

Top Stories

Life Doesn’t Imitate Art: Ten Lies We Learn from TV Dating Shows

• Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

Top Stories

Conspiracy Theories Part Two: The Pentagon UFO Video-Is it ET or the Military?

• Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

Top Stories

The Down and Dirty on Eating Disorders

• Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

Top Stories

Does Technology Isolate Teens?

• Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

Top Stories

Holiday Traditions Observed at HHS

• Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

Student Life

The True Nature of Acceptance

• Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

Student Life

iX or 8? Which iPhone Appeals to You?

• Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

News

Lessons Learned from Hurricane Harvey

• Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

Top Stories

Unlock the Meaning Behind Ten Famous Logos

Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS