Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: What the Monarchy Means to America

Anthony Trobek, Sophomore Staff Writer

Kings, Queens, Princes, Princesses, and Dukes.  Let’s face it: Americans go gaga over the British Monarchy.  This is a foreign obsession of which we never seem to tire.  As the online rag The Daily Dot states: “Our national anthem may be about a battle against the British, but many American hearts still sing ‘God Save the Queen.’ “  But why?  Could it be that this obsession has roots in the same obsession Americans have with wealthy, privileged celebrities like the Kardashians? The Daily Dot writer explains that although this obsession is superficial, watching the monarchy play out their lives–from the affair of Charles and Camilla, to the death of Diana, and the outcome of the young Princes–became our very first version of reality TV long before that form of voyeurism became popular.

Therefore, the engagement of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle has once again renewed America’s interest in the British Royal Family.  As with previous royal weddings between Princess Diana and  Prince Charles, Princess Kate and Prince William, and now the engagement of the American actress Meghan Markle to Prince Harry, America’s eyes and hearts are once again turned towards the monarchy of Great Britain.

According to online sources, Markel and Harry’s  introduction was set up by a mutual friend, and the two have since kept their romance relatively private until the announcement of their engagement. Meghan Markle is set to be the first American to marry a British royal.  However, a new element of excitement and interest has been added here: Markle is also a woman of color, which has been a controversy in some British newspapers.

How does this obsession affect the students of Hubbard High?  Well it seems they are already aware and poised on the edge of their seats.  When asked his thoughts about the engagement, sophomore Dean Esmail had this to say: “Prince Harry’s engagement to Meghan Markle proves the proud and now unique future of the British Royal Family, and I cannot wait to see the outcome.” Tony Dattilo, another sophomore, remarked, “I think it’s great because it shows that true love always finds a way.” Lauryn Laney, a senior, added: “It’s beautiful because they’re breaking the norm.”

As you can see, the engagement has sparked many different emotions and thoughts, and once again America turns back to her British roots.  There are two things that can be said most definitely though, this is going to be no ordinary royal wedding, and American will be watching expectantly.

AP
Britain’s Prince Harry and his fiancee Meghan Markle pose for photographers during a photocall in the grounds of Kensington Palace in London, Monday Nov. 27, 2017. Britain’s royal palace says Prince Harry and actress Meghan Markle are engaged and will marry in the spring of 2018. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham)

https://www.dailydot.com/via/why-still-obsessed-british-royals/

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/meghan-markle-prince-harry-engagement_us_5a1c19a1e4b064948075aef0

Anthony Trobek, JuniorStaff Writer
  • A.J. Trobek is currently a junior at Hubbard High School. During his second year as a Hub Staff member, A.J. hopes he is able to express his fondness for writing in a professional, but compelling manner. He loves sports and has always been very interested in global news stories. He is going to try his best to write each article with a student friendly approach.
  • A.J. takes all CCP and honors classes which include: CCP Algebra and Trigonometry, CCP Government, CCP Chemistry, and Honors English 3. He is also enrolled in French 3 as well as Video Production. For the third year running, he is a member of the French Club. A.J. plays club soccer for Soccer Vision Academy and Fury Soccer Club, a club that is based out of West Virginia. He plays club soccer from November to June. A.J. is a member of the HHS Varsity Boys Soccer team as well. He was given an athletic letter during his freshman and sophomore years and was chosen to be a captain for his sophomore and junior years. He won the Coaches Award in his sophomore season as well.
  • After graduation, A.J. hopes to receive his undergraduate degree in biology and continue his soccer career at the collegiate level at either the Ohio State University or Akron University. His ultimate goal, however, is to receive his degree in veterinary medicine at Ohio State University.  After this, he hopes to live near Akron, Ohio and be a successful veterinarian.
  • Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: What the Monarchy Means to America

News

HHS Top Social Media Apps

News

Nike’s Decision Creates Protests

News

A Slice of Summer

News

Mature Reflections on Change at HHS

News

What is a Blood Moon?

News

The Painful Truth about College Tuition

News

Words of Wisdom for Freshmen

News

Painted Parking Spaces Highlight Student Creativity

News

Five Ways Teen can become Financially Savvy

News

Set the High School Alarm on Snooze