Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

Hannah Johns, Sophomore Staff Writer

When is the last time you’ve seen a wide awake junior or senior walking briskly and with purpose down the halls of Hubbard High at 7:35 am?  Think about it. Most are gulping down various forms of caffeine via Monster, DD or Starbucks’s coffee or health drinks in order to appear bright-eyed and bushy tailed.  Usually that energy doesn’t kick in until around 8:00 a.m.

Other schools tried new hours this year, by starting an hour later.  According to an online article: “Schools in 45 states have pushed their start times back to fall in line with research that looks at the biological clock of adolescents.” Some students gave positive opinions on this possible change. 11th grader, Maya Weser states:  “We could get more sleep, which in the long run could improve our test scores.”

There have been many recent studies on this subject that show the improvement just one extra hour of sleep can provide for a teen. According to The Sleep Foundation, adolescents today face a widespread chronic health problems and sleep deprivation.    For optimal performance, on average, a teen needs 9 ¼ hours of sleep each night. Hectic schedules, after school activities, family obligations, and homework leave teens with about an average of 7 hours of sleep each day. That means on average teens lose 15 ¾ hours of sleep in one week.

This reporter questioned 12th grade student Megan Learn about her opinion on the issue.  She responded by saying, “I’m not a morning person so gaining another hour would help. I think I would have more time to study for tests and feel more rested.” 12th grader Lauryn Laney remarked, “School should start an hour later, so students can get their morning started the right way and be well rested.” According to cdc.gov, “Not getting enough sleep is common amount high school students and is associated with several health risks including the tendency to be overweight, drink alcohol, smoke tobacco, and use drugs, and can additionally lead to poor academic performance.”

The better option seems clear, and perhaps it’s time to break tradition with an outdated American agricultural system which forced teens to be up at dawn to help on the farm.  This is the 21st century; we are now a technological society, and high school start times should reflect that progression. A combination of good sleep and later school times can create healthier and better academic achievers.

Source:

http://www.businessinsider.com/school-start-times-are-finally-getting-pushed-back-2017-8

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-news/backgrounder-later-school-start-times

Hannah Johns, Sophomore Staff Writer
Hannah Johns is a sophomore year at Hubbard High School. This year is Hannah’s first year as a HUB staff member. Hannah enjoys writing about anything that is relatable to her and fascinating to the students of Hubbard High School. Hannah is currently enrolled in all honors classes, and is involved in TV production and...
  • Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: What the Monarchy Means to America

• Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

The Death Penalty: Should It Survive?

• Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

The History of Rock and Roll

• Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

What’s Up with Upside-Down Christmas Trees?

• Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

NFL Players Refuse Anthem Respect in Protest of Racial Rights

• Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

Heroes in Blue: The Loss of Officer Leo

• Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

Five Weird Phobias Prevail at HHS

• Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

History Behind Sadie Hawkins Day

• Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

The Real Consequences of Academic Dishonesty

• Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

Humanitarian Crisis in Puerto Rico

Set the High School Alarm on Snooze