Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

Hannah Johns, Sophomore Staff Writer

When is the last time you’ve seen a wide awake junior or senior walking briskly and with purpose down the halls of Hubbard High at 7:35 am?  Think about it. Most are gulping down various forms of caffeine via Monster, DD or Starbucks’s coffee or health drinks in order to appear bright-eyed and bushy tailed.  Usually that energy doesn’t kick in until around 8:00 a.m.

Other schools tried new hours this year, by starting an hour later.  According to an online article: “Schools in 45 states have pushed their start times back to fall in line with research that looks at the biological clock of adolescents.” Some students gave positive opinions on this possible change. 11th grader, Maya Weser states:  “We could get more sleep, which in the long run could improve our test scores.”

There have been many recent studies on this subject that show the improvement just one extra hour of sleep can provide for a teen. According to The Sleep Foundation, adolescents today face a widespread chronic health problems and sleep deprivation.    For optimal performance, on average, a teen needs 9 ¼ hours of sleep each night. Hectic schedules, after school activities, family obligations, and homework leave teens with about an average of 7 hours of sleep each day. That means on average teens lose 15 ¾ hours of sleep in one week.

This reporter questioned 12th grade student Megan Learn about her opinion on the issue.  She responded by saying, “I’m not a morning person so gaining another hour would help. I think I would have more time to study for tests and feel more rested.” 12th grader Lauryn Laney remarked, “School should start an hour later, so students can get their morning started the right way and be well rested.” According to cdc.gov, “Not getting enough sleep is common amount high school students and is associated with several health risks including the tendency to be overweight, drink alcohol, smoke tobacco, and use drugs, and can additionally lead to poor academic performance.”

The better option seems clear, and perhaps it’s time to break tradition with an outdated American agricultural system which forced teens to be up at dawn to help on the farm.  This is the 21st century; we are now a technological society, and high school start times should reflect that progression. A combination of good sleep and later school times can create healthier and better academic achievers.

Source:

http://www.businessinsider.com/school-start-times-are-finally-getting-pushed-back-2017-8

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-news/backgrounder-later-school-start-times

Hannah Johns, Junior Staff Writer

Hannah Johns is a junior at Hubbard High School. This is her her second year as a Hub staff member. Hannah enjoys writing about anything that is relatable...

• Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

Career Crunch Time

• Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

Cosby’s Epic End: America’s Dad in Disgrace

• Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

What’s so Bad about Antibacterial Soap?

• Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

Immigrant Caravans Create Controversy

• Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

Could High School Behavior Affect a Future Career?

• Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

The Scoop on Being Scared

• Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

Dunkin’ Title Drops the Donuts: “Do-nut” Worry

• Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

The History of Halloween

• Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

The History of Hubbard Schools

• Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

News

HHS Top Social Media Apps

Set the High School Alarm on Snooze