Words of Wisdom for Freshmen

Rylie Campbell, Junior Staff Writer

Freshman year is year full of learning and growing.  Although it does mean being the underdog of a new school, many great experiences can come from a student’s freshman year.  After asking upperclassmen about freshman year, this reporter learned what these upperclassmen recommend as best advice for students coming up to the high school.

• Don’t Slack Off: Just because it is freshman year doesn’t mean a student’s grades don’t matter.  If a freshman does all his/her work and ends up with good grades, that student’s GPA will benefit from the start!  What a freshman does at the beginning counts for the rest of his or her high school career. Junior Reese Best says, “If you slack off now it is hard to get your GPA up in the future.”
  • Ask for Help: High school is harder than middle school, so a freshman may find him or herself confused at some points, but don’t get stressed! Inform the teacher, explain the confusion, and the teacher will help to save the student from falling behind.  Homework help is also a great option that many students in high school use to stay on track. Junior Grace Ryser states, “Homework help after school helped my algebra grade a lot last year!”
  • Make New Friends: Staying social is very important in high school.  Although it may seem like a lot of work, high school should also be one of the most enjoyable times a student has in his/her life.  Student sections at sporting events, talking to new people in class, and joining clubs are just a few ways to stay social. Sophomore Chris Daniels suggests, “Be yourself, don’t try to be different and don’t make too many upperclassmen friends because you get sad when they leave.”
  • Stay Organized: A freshman may find him or herself feeling overwhelmed with schoolwork.  Don’t worry, it will all get done. Keeping a planner will help a student to  list all your assignments and due dates. Keeping one’s locker and binders organized is helpful as well; this way a student can always find his or her school work.  Staying organized has also been proven to relieve stress. Junior Madi Barton explains, “I use color coordination with my binders and book covers so I know exactly what I need for certain classes.”

These are just a few tips that will help a freshman succeed during his or her first high school year.  If a student stays on top of his/her game, this year should be a blast! Remember high school only gets better!

Rylie Campbell, Junior Staff Writer
Entering her junior year at Hubbard High School, Rylie Campbell is a two-year HUB staff member.  Rylie enjoys the performing arts, and she hopes she can express her love for them through her writing and maybe open the door for others to find a passion for the arts as she has.   Rylie keeps a...
  • Words of Wisdom for Freshmen

News

A Slice of Summer

• Words of Wisdom for Freshmen

News

Mature Reflections on Change at HHS

• Words of Wisdom for Freshmen

News

What is a Blood Moon?

• Words of Wisdom for Freshmen

News

Painted Parking Spaces Highlight Student Creativity

• Words of Wisdom for Freshmen

News

Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

• Words of Wisdom for Freshmen

News

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: What the Monarchy Means to America

• Words of Wisdom for Freshmen

News

The Death Penalty: Should It Survive?

• Words of Wisdom for Freshmen

News

The History of Rock and Roll

• Words of Wisdom for Freshmen

News

What’s Up with Upside-Down Christmas Trees?

• Words of Wisdom for Freshmen

News

NFL Players Refuse Anthem Respect in Protest of Racial Rights

Words of Wisdom for Freshmen