Mature Reflections on Change at HHS

Hannah Moffit, Senior Staff Writer

Every student hates or loves certain aspects of the high school he or she attends.  When students attending Hubbard High School were asked what they would change about their school if they had the ability to do so, this reporter expected the usual responses, like dress code, the cell phone policy, and the choices in cafeteria food.  Sure enough, these were the areas where students voiced most complaints. However, this reporter wanted a broader set of responses, so the question was changed to: “What is one thing you would change about the school other than dress code, the cell phone policy, and lunch menu choices?”

When senior, Emily King, was asked this question, after thinking for a minute, her response was: “If I could change one thing it would have to be the locker sizes.” This is a unique response, and one doesn’t really hear this complaint too often. The lockers in Hubbard High School arent very wide, as most students agree. HHS  students have about six or seven classes a day, which include a wide variety of supplies that have to be stored somewhere. Also, consider that students also carry a possible packed lunch, book bag, and coat. All these things have to be stored in our lockers. King said, “Everyone has a hard time fitting all of there school supplies in their lockers. Also the lockers are so close together that you either have to push your way through to get to your own stuff or wait patiently and hope you’re not late for your classes.” Good point.

When this reporter asked senior Kayla Chmelik the same question, her response was moving and heartfelt:  “I would want to change the lack of attention and support we direct towards illnesses, cancers, and crimes such as domestic violence.” She explained that the school could spread awareness through more football game themes, like last week’s Friday night “purple out” to spread awareness for domestic violence. Chemlik pointed out that the school is very involved during football season, which makes it a great time to show one’s support for a particular cause.  “The “purple out” theme was the first time a cause awareness theme was chosen for a game. Hopefully, even after seniors graduate this year, a new tradition will have been established and people will still choose to show support for causes like this one during the seasons to follow,” said the Hubbard senior.

Overall, the above are two very reasonable suggestions for change at HHS, whether for the practicality of having a larger place to store needed supplies, or for demonstration of support of those affected by horrible illnesses or victimized by crimes.  

Hannah Moffit, Senior Staff Writer
Hannah Moffitt is a first year staff member of The HUB. A senior at Hubbard High School, Hannah joined the news site because of her passion for writing and enjoyment of the language arts. She hopes to gain further appreciation for journalism and current events. Hannah is currently enrolled in Youngstown State University’s CCP Writing...
  • Mature Reflections on Change at HHS

News

HHS Top Social Media Apps

• Mature Reflections on Change at HHS

News

Nike’s Decision Creates Protests

• Mature Reflections on Change at HHS

News

A Slice of Summer

• Mature Reflections on Change at HHS

News

What is a Blood Moon?

• Mature Reflections on Change at HHS

News

The Painful Truth about College Tuition

• Mature Reflections on Change at HHS

News

Words of Wisdom for Freshmen

• Mature Reflections on Change at HHS

News

Painted Parking Spaces Highlight Student Creativity

• Mature Reflections on Change at HHS

News

Five Ways Teen can become Financially Savvy

• Mature Reflections on Change at HHS

News

Set the High School Alarm on Snooze

• Mature Reflections on Change at HHS

News

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle: What the Monarchy Means to America

Mature Reflections on Change at HHS