First Male Cheerleaders Make NFL History

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jayden Record, Junior Staff Writer

History will be made this football season before teams even start playing. How you may ask? 2018 will mark the first NFL season with a male cheerleader on the sidelines.  “I think it’s cool to see people doing what they like to do, especially in a league that big”, says Trey Klancher, a junior at Hubbard High.

Male cheerleaders have been the norm at colleges for decades and now they are finally making their way to the professional level, states online sources. Napoleon Jinnies, Quinton Peron, and Jesse Hernandez are the first ever male cheerleaders in the National Football League. Napoleon and Quinton got hired this summer to cheer for the Los Angeles Rams while Jesse started cheering for the New Orleans Saints’ Saintsations in August. In breaking these gender barriers, you can imagine the backlash that ensued for the ground-breaking, spirited cheerers? Yes, there has been a fair amount, but one needs to ask: is the hatred towards these men really necessary?

Following Jesse Hernandez’s debut in August, there have been a lot of mixed feelings about the young man cheering for his team. Tracey Hernandez, Jesse’s mom, had a firm response to those who made fun of her son: “We’re in 2018. Things shouldn’t be just for men or just for women. If you have the ability to do it, you should be able to do it,” reported online sources.

Something surprising about good old Hubbard High is the fact that there have been several male cheerleaders in HHS’s past;  in fact, there was one on the cheer squad just two short years ago. Nobody knows what these men go through everyday. It is difficult doing what one loves and being unable to relate to anybody else in the same situation in everyday life. Male cheerleaders are very brave for doing what they love and not caring what anybody else has to say about it, a stand that can be respected by many. These male cheerleaders may be new to the NFL, but they’re not a completely uncommon occurrence in high schools like Hubbard.

When asked about how she felt about the presence of a male cheerleader in the professional football league, junior Grace Ryser says, “I believe that a male cheerleader in the NFL would be a great idea. He could show people who watch the games that you should just be yourself and not care what others may think of you.” That’s the problem nowadays, people get discouraged from doing what they love, because it is not the social norm. “I think it’s great for the league. It’ll add some flare to the sidelines,” states Cam Resatar, a junior at Hubbard. This is a good point as it may draw in more viewers hoping to see a male amongst the female cheerleaders.

One final quote given by a student really hits home and shows how big of a deal this headline really is. Junior Cassady Herberger says that “having male cheerleaders shows that our world is equal and anyone can be anything they want to be.” You see, this historic choice for these young men is bigger than football, this is another big step in the right direction of equality.

Source: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000945403/article/male-cheerleaders-set-to-make-nfl-history-in-2018

Jayden Record, Junior Staff Writer

Jayden Record is entering his junior year at Hubbard High School. He’s a second-year HUB staff member and enjoys writing in his free time, particularly...

• First Male Cheerleaders Make NFL History

News

Career Crunch Time

News

Cosby’s Epic End: America’s Dad in Disgrace

News

What’s so Bad about Antibacterial Soap?

News

Musical Background Enhances Student Performance In High School

News

Immigrant Caravans Create Controversy

News

Could High School Behavior Affect a Future Career?

News

The Scoop on Being Scared

News

Dunkin’ Title Drops the Donuts: “Do-nut” Worry

News

The History of Halloween

News

The History of Hubbard Schools