The History of Hubbard Schools

Back to Article
Back to Article

The History of Hubbard Schools

Andrew Frank, Sophomore Staff Writer

Have you ever wondered when you walk into school everyday where the arch came from? For those of you who don’t know, the HHS arch originally came from the Roosevelt School on Orchard Avenue. For those of us who attended Roosevelt, we remember it from what was known to us as the elementary school, but our grandparents or great-grandparents may remember it as one of the first high schools in Hubbard.

According to historian and author Barbara Emch’s book on Hubbard, Ohio, in 1870, the first free public high school in Hubbard was built east of the present day Board of Education building. The township did not want to consolidate its schools with those of the village, so a brick wall divided the school, with the village on the south side, and the township on the north side. The grade schools of both the village and the township were located on the 1st floor, while both  high schools were on the 2nd floor. This first high school operated for 50 years, until the new high school was established in 1920, on Orchard Avenue, in the building that most of us knew as our elementary school, Roosevelt.

The second public high school in Hubbard was established in 1920, Emch explains, and operated until 1953. In 1953, the high school moved from Orchard Avenue to a new location on Hall Avenue where it became Hubbard High School, and the old high school on Orchard Avenue became Roosevelt Elementary School, and operated as an elementary school until 2011.

At the end of the 2010 school year, the high school on Hall Avenue was torn down and replaced with a brand new school, the one that we currently attend, Hubbard High School. The historian writes that this has been the fourth public high school in Hubbard and is going on its 8th year. The newest Hubbard High School is state-of-the-art, with contemporary technology such as smart boards and new computers, a big difference compared to the old schools. When sophomore Kobe Krisuk was asked about the big differences between the schools he said,

“Having the smart boards is really convenient and helpful compared to the old overhead projectors and chalkboards we had at Roosevelt.”

The year 2021 will mark the 10th year that the school has been operating.  The current sophomore class will be the tenth class to graduate from the new building.  Harley Senek, a sophomore, was asked about her thoughts about being the 10th class to graduate.  Harley stated, “ It’s pretty cool to think about it considering we were in third grade when we came to the new schools and to think that it’s already been 10 years is pretty amazing.”

So next time you walk under that arch, think about how many students and teachers have passed through that architectural structure in the past 98 years, and speculate on how many more are still to come.

Source:

Emch, Barbara. Images of America:    Hubbard. Arcadia Publishing Company: Charleston, South Carolina. 2005.

Andrew Frank, Sophomore Staff Writer

Andrew Frank is starting his sophomore year at Hubbard High School. He is a first year HUB staff member and enjoys writing about sports and current...

• The History of Hubbard Schools

News

Career Crunch Time

• The History of Hubbard Schools

News

Cosby’s Epic End: America’s Dad in Disgrace

• The History of Hubbard Schools

News

What’s so Bad about Antibacterial Soap?

• The History of Hubbard Schools

News

Musical Background Enhances Student Performance In High School

• The History of Hubbard Schools

News

Immigrant Caravans Create Controversy

• The History of Hubbard Schools

News

Could High School Behavior Affect a Future Career?

• The History of Hubbard Schools

News

The Scoop on Being Scared

• The History of Hubbard Schools

News

Dunkin’ Title Drops the Donuts: “Do-nut” Worry

• The History of Hubbard Schools

News

The History of Halloween

• The History of Hubbard Schools

News

HHS Top Social Media Apps

The History of Hubbard Schools