Dunkin’ Title Drops the Donuts: “Do-nut” Worry

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophia Kimmel, Sophomore Staff Writer

Dunkin’ Donuts is one of the most popular breakfast-based restaurants in America, originally named for their delicious donuts. However, over the past several years, with the increased popularity of “designer” coffee drinks, the hot and cold caffeinated beverages at Dunkin’ have replaced the donut’s popularity. From “Frozen Hot Chocolate” to their seasonal “Pumpkin Spiced Latte”, the focus on coffee and hot chocolate is continually increasing. Lately, there has been talk of a possible name change for the company. This can be worrisome to customers, especially with the most recent restaurant name change from International House of Pancakes to International House of Burgers, which occurred just a few months ago. Luckily, the change from “Dunkin’ Donuts” to “Dunkin’ will not be as immense.

Rumors were confirmed on September 25th, 2018, after the company tweeted, “It’s official: We’re going by Dunkin’ now. After 68 years of America running on Dunkin’, we’re moving to a first-name basis,” states an online source. It is part of an effort to position the company as a “beverage-led, on-the-go brand”, Dunkin’ said in a release. They were quick to reassure customers they “do-nut” need to worry, because the company plans to keep all their products, including the donuts. The change will be reflected in cups, ads, napkins, and other materials beginning in January 2019.

This change will affect all stores nationwide, including the local Dunkin’ Donuts here in Hubbard. Every morning, students can be seen with cups of coffee or donuts before school, proving Dunkin’ to be the spot when a student is on-the-go. Some people, however, are outraged by the name change. Payton Demyen, a junior at Hubbard High, doesn’t feel the change is necessary. “What’s the point? That will just cause them more money creating new products and ads for a simple name restructuring,” she responded when asked about the topic. However, other students don’t really mind the change, as long as the menu stays. Sophomore Adam Yoder says he’s always called it “Dunkin’” for short, claiming “it’s just easier”.

Although this change will affect all of its restaurants, the average American life shouldn’t be impacted in any large way, shape, or form, other than the occasional correction. The name change is minimal and few customers will actually notice the difference.  Whether the “Donuts” is included or not, America will always run on Dunkin’.

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/dunkin-donuts-name-changing-to-dunkin-2018-8

Sophia Kimmel, Sophomore Staff Writer

As a sophomore at Hubbard High School, Sophia Kimmel is a first-year member of the Hub. Sophia joined to be a part of the voice of the Hubbard Eagles....

• Dunkin’ Title Drops the Donuts: “Do-nut” Worry

News

Friendships Fuel the Future

News

Egg Breaks World Record: No Poaching Permitted

News

The Opioid Epidemic

News

How Trauma in Today’s World Affects Students

News

The Danger of Diet Pills

News

The Obesity Epidemic in Teens

News

Different Learning Styles for Students

News

The Wave of the Future: Tablets vs. Textbooks

News

Growing Number of Teens Exhibit Mental Health Problems

News

Fake is the New Real: Reality TV