The History of Halloween

Back to Article
Back to Article

The History of Halloween

Rylie Campbell, Junior Staff Writer

When most people think of Halloween, they think of getting dressed up, going trick-or-treating and carving pumpkins.  Although this is how we celebrate the spooky holiday, there is actually a lot more history involved. Many students polled at Hubbard High School seemed really unsure of how the holiday started.  Senior Justin Auth says, “Halloween began when the Salem Witch trials were going on and everyone was scared of witches so they decided to dress like them.” Well, there could be some truth to that, but there’s much more to this spooky celebration.

It all started some 2,000 years ago with the Celts, explains online sources.  They celebrated their New Year on November 1, which is All Saints’ Day. Their New Year marked a dark and dreary time away from summer.  To them, this holiday also marked the return of all the ghosts of those recently deceased on the eve before the new year. During the night before, known as All Hallows Eve, the Celts would hold a festival called Samhain.  There they would dress up to confuse the spirits and sacrifice animals and crops in a large fire in order to get on the good side of the spirits arising that evening. So Halloween actually began as a pagan holiday, but the Romans have also had some influence with their different customs, such as bobbing for apples.  Junior Jayden Record says, “I thought the Puritans started Halloween?”

All of these traditions were brought to America with European immigrants during the 19th century.  These immigrants would share their stories about ghosts and witches. Other settlers brought their traditions of the holiday.  For example, sources explain that African immigrants brought over their beliefs on witchcraft and black cats. Finally in the 20th century, by combining all the customs and setting some boundaries, we have the holiday we now call Halloween.  Halloween is celebrated on every year on October 31, and is a day spent dressing up, going to parties, and going from door to door to get candy. Still many don’t realize the combined cultures that make up this spooky night of celebration.

https://www.history.com/topics/halloween/history-of-halloween

https://www.businessinsider.com/history-of-halloween-2017-10

Rylie Campbell, Junior Staff Writer

Entering her junior year at Hubbard High School, Rylie Campbell is a two-year HUB staff member.  Rylie enjoys the performing arts, and she hopes she...

• The History of Halloween

News

Friendships Fuel the Future

• The History of Halloween

News

Egg Breaks World Record: No Poaching Permitted

• The History of Halloween

News

The Opioid Epidemic

• The History of Halloween

News

How Trauma in Today’s World Affects Students

• The History of Halloween

News

The Danger of Diet Pills

• The History of Halloween

News

The Obesity Epidemic in Teens

• The History of Halloween

News

Different Learning Styles for Students

• The History of Halloween

News

The Wave of the Future: Tablets vs. Textbooks

• The History of Halloween

News

Growing Number of Teens Exhibit Mental Health Problems

• The History of Halloween

News

Fake is the New Real: Reality TV

The History of Halloween