The Scoop on Being Scared

Mallory Greenamyer, Sophomore Staff Writer

Every year around this time, people start to get into the Halloween spirit, whether it be they decorate their houses, order a pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks, or pick the perfect pumpkin to carve. However, there is one unexpected tradition that many people enjoy doing: watching scary movies. Teens and adults everywhere love sitting down, turning on Netflix, and binge watching scary movies. This unexpected tradition might lead you to ask yourself, why do people like to be scared? What about these movies make people come back for more?

Whitney Hendrix, a sophomore at Hubbard High School, says that she absolutely loves watching scary movies. When asked what her favorite Halloween movie was, she responded by saying, “Scream was one of the first horror movies I ever watched and I loved it.  I also really like other older movies such as Halloween, Silence of the Lambs, and Misery.” For some people, being frightened can actually make them feel better, states online sources. Hendrix explained that scary movies are exciting for her, and the more movies she watches, the less scared she becomes. Other popular choices for movies at Hubbard High include The Conjuring, Annabelle, and Psycho. Patrick Brown, a current junior, explained that he likes scary movies because he enjoys the “jump scare” he gets when he watches them. “The thrill and intensity of the movies make my heart race, and I love it,” he explains.

According to online sources, when people get scared, their bodies release neurotransmitters and hormones that results in people feeling good rather than scared. According to Margee Kerr, a sociologist and author, “When we’re afraid, our bodies release different chemicals that can contribute to feeling good under the right circumstances.” She compares our bodies to “well-oiled machines” and explains that the chemicals released when people are scared are very similar to those released when people are happy.

For some people, watching scary movies is a form of entertainment that allows them to be scared, but happy and excited at the same time. Even though it might be an unusual hobby, many people enjoy being frightened. So next time you watch a scary movie or go to a haunted house, remember that maybe this fright has some positive health effects for you and others.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-we-like-to-be-scared#1

Mallory Greenamyer is currently a first year member of the HUB staff and a sophomore at Hubbard High School. She is excited to be joining the staff...

• The Scoop on Being Scared

News

Career Crunch Time

• The Scoop on Being Scared

News

Cosby’s Epic End: America’s Dad in Disgrace

• The Scoop on Being Scared

News

What’s so Bad about Antibacterial Soap?

• The Scoop on Being Scared

News

Immigrant Caravans Create Controversy

• The Scoop on Being Scared

News

Could High School Behavior Affect a Future Career?

• The Scoop on Being Scared

News

Dunkin’ Title Drops the Donuts: “Do-nut” Worry

• The Scoop on Being Scared

News

The History of Halloween

• The Scoop on Being Scared

News

The History of Hubbard Schools

• The Scoop on Being Scared

News

HHS Top Social Media Apps

• The Scoop on Being Scared

News

Nike’s Decision Creates Protests

The Scoop on Being Scared