Immigrant Caravans Create Controversy

Dean Esmail, Junior Staff Writer

The immigration crisis has quickly become one of the biggest issues since Donald Trump was elected into office, and as America comes closer to midterm elections, so do the Central American caravans. This latest illegal invasion is “still moving slowly through southern Mexico, but appeared to be flagging by Thursday, closer to 4,000 people than the 7,000 estimated by the UN a few days earlier,” states an online source. Although this is news that greatly augments Trump’s election arguments, the immigration problem predates the president. The notion of opportunity for prosperity and success has led to mass immigration to the United States, causing overpopulation on the Immigration borders and a denial rate higher than ever before.

Many individuals who are not American citizens aspire to attain this dream. This “American Dream” can be obtained through document, such as green cards and visas, which allow for legal immigration to the United States. However, not everybody is fortunate enough to receive these documents, and many attempt to enter America illegally as a result. This problem has recently stirred up much controversy. Illegal immigration into the United States removes many lower class and American born citizens of their jobs, and also leads to greater competition for housing as a result of the increase in population. However, don’t all people deserve equal opportunity at success? Cam Resatar, a junior at Hubbard High School, states, “Something needs to be done about illegal immigrants entering our country because they are taking away our opportunity, and I believe we should follow in the footsteps of our president and build a wall to keep them out. Additionally, I believe we should deport the ones already here.” On the other hand, Tony Dattilo, another junior, exclaims, “Illegal immigrants have as much a right to opportunity as we do. I believe we should still have border security because it would get chaotic without it; however, illegal immigrants already in America should be allowed to stay.”

Perhaps one of the greatest arguments against harsh punishment of illegal immigrants is the idea that no one should split up a family, and sometimes, with border enforcement, that is exactly what happens. Attorney General Jeff Sessions has stated this zero tolerance policy clearly: “ ‘If you cross the Southwest border unlawfully, then we will prosecute you. It’s that simple,” Mr. Sessions said. “If you’re smuggling a child, then we’re going to prosecute you, and that child will be separated from you. If you don’t want your child separated, then don’t bring them across the border illegally.’ ”

There have been many different suggestions to keeping illegal immigrant out of America, and as to whether or not we should deport the ones already here. Illegal immigrants deserve the right to equal opportunity, but is it fair for them to compete with those who were born in America in order to achieve this goal? This writer hopes to have shed some light on this controversial topic.

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/immigration/reports/2017/04/20/430736/facts-immigration-today-2017-edition/

Dean Esmail, Junior Staff Writer

Dean Esmail is currently a junior at Hubbard High School and second-year HUB member. His interest in writing, as well as his desire to be able to inform...

• Immigrant Caravans Create Controversy

News

Career Crunch Time

• Immigrant Caravans Create Controversy

News

Cosby’s Epic End: America’s Dad in Disgrace

• Immigrant Caravans Create Controversy

News

What’s so Bad about Antibacterial Soap?

• Immigrant Caravans Create Controversy

News

Could High School Behavior Affect a Future Career?

• Immigrant Caravans Create Controversy

News

The Scoop on Being Scared

• Immigrant Caravans Create Controversy

News

Dunkin’ Title Drops the Donuts: “Do-nut” Worry

• Immigrant Caravans Create Controversy

News

The History of Halloween

• Immigrant Caravans Create Controversy

News

The History of Hubbard Schools

• Immigrant Caravans Create Controversy

News

HHS Top Social Media Apps

• Immigrant Caravans Create Controversy

News

Nike’s Decision Creates Protests

Immigrant Caravans Create Controversy