Midterms: Prep and Panic Time for Many

A.J. Trobek, Junior Staff Writer

Whether a student wants to hear it or not, midterms are quickly approaching here at Hubbard High, and it’s never too early to start getting prepared. These tests are no joke,  and it is crucial to perform well on each one. This midterm grade is calculated to make up 1/5th of a student’s entire first semester grade, with the nine week grades being doubled, and the midterm added in once–so it’s a weighty score.  When asked about the importance of midterms, junior Nader Kassem says, “Midterms are the second-most important tests of the year, only behind the final exam. These tests are worth much more than an average test, and they can be the deciding factor between a passing and failing grade.” So in order to prepare well for these all important tests, students should consider a few special online tips to help one ace his/her midterms:

1) Get Well Rested: Sleep is very important when it comes to performing well on tests. According to scientists in Germany, the sleeping brain continues to work on problems that baffle students during the day. After an eight-hour rest, the correct answer is likely to come easier to one during a test the following day, the source states. Junior Dean Esmail remarks, “I spend several nights studying and staying up late for my midterms, but I always make sure I get at least eight hours of sleep the night before my tests.” Obtaining enough sleep is not just important for one’s education, but it also helps put a tester in a good and positive mood before the test. If someone walks into a class already expecting a bad outcome, he or she will be more stressed and less likely to succeed.

2) Don’t Cram: A student at Hubbard High School is going to have to take at minimum of five midterms (excluding seniors), and it’s very important to spread out studying and not cram everything in one night. Most teachers pass out their study guide weeks in advance, and it would be wise to begin studying when these are given out. Some teachers may not give out any information on the test, and that’s why it is important to pay attention in class and keep notes, worksheets, and previous quizzes or tests that have been taken in the class. As previously stated, sleep is essential during these tests and preventing cramming will help you get the rest needed.

3) Study to Your Strengths: When it comes to studying, there are a variety of ways to help students learn the test material. It is beneficial to find which form of studying best suits a student as an individual. For instance: If you know that you perform better on tests when you study independently, the best choice is to stay at home and study in solitude. If you know that you retain more information by studying with your friends, it would be better to organize a study group and find a place to study. Junior Cam Resatar says, “I love studying with my friends.  We ask each other questions and it really helps me understand the content. When I’m by myself, I second-guess everything and easily confuse myself.” A student can also utilize online resources to study, such as Quizlet and Study Island, or he or she could even make paper flash cards and take practice tests. If a student doesn’t know which form of studying is the most convenient for him or her, he or she should try all of them and see what best suits the individual. It’s vital to get this information down as early as possible to ensure the best scores possible on midterms.

These are just a few ways to help students study and be prepared, but there are unlimited forms of studying that can be used. Now get out there and don’t forget it’s never too early to start studying; you can do this!

Source:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=118266&page=1     

• Midterms: Prep and Panic Time for Many

News

The Signs and Their Traits

News

Friendships Fuel the Future

News

Egg Breaks World Record: No Poaching Permitted

News

The Opioid Epidemic

News

How Trauma in Today’s World Affects Students

News

The Danger of Diet Pills

News

The Obesity Epidemic in Teens

News

Different Learning Styles for Students

News

The Wave of the Future: Tablets vs. Textbooks

News

Growing Number of Teens Exhibit Mental Health Problems

Midterms: Prep and Panic Time for Many