Fast Food Frenzy: Chick-fil-A vs. Popeyes

Back to Article
Back to Article

Anna Pogacnik, Junior Staff Writer

Chick-fil-A and Popeyes are two of the most popular fast food chicken chains in the United States. In recent news and social media posts however, the two restaurants have been at a so called “war” as to whose chicken sandwich should really be considered number one. “On August 12, Popeyes, a beloved Louisiana fried chicken chain now headquartered in Miami, debuted its new fried chicken sandwich. The sandwich features a slab of crunchy fried chicken breast on brioche with pickles and mayonnaise. It comes in two varieties: The mayonnaise can be either spicy or not,” states an online source.  Consumers went crazy over the new sandwich, so much so that Popeyes actually ran out of this item by the end of the week.  On the following Monday, Chick-fil-A tweeted a suggestion that their sandwich had been the original, and the only aspect unique about the Popeyes’ sandwich was the addition of the pickle…and the war was on.

Many people went to Twitter to share their thoughts, some in support of the classic Chick-fil-A sandwich, which never seems to be out of stock, and others in support of the new sandwich that Popeyes so quickly ran out of.   

“I feel like this whole controversy is just a way to get more business for both restaurants,” said junior Courtney Amrich. This statement actually happens to be true. Sources reported that Popeyes received $23.25 million in free advertising from all of this controversy. Sales in both restaurants have also gone up in the past few weeks due to all of the buzz. 

Now this controversy has become more of a joke, and of course a way to get more people interested in both restaurants. “At the end of the day, it’s just chicken. Who cares?” Stated sophomore Alayna Martinez. This statement is also very true. Others on social media have actually gone on to say that perhaps this is Chick-fil-A’s way of distracting customers from the controversy that offended millions across the world. This political controversy concernede Chick-fil-A’s choice to give funds to anti-gay organizations, a topic in which is controversal in itself. At the end of the day, it truly is just chicken, but the other controversies surrounding Chick-fil-A are about much more than spicy advertising. 

Source: https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/8/28/20836936/popeyes-chick-fil-a-fried-chicken-sandwich-twitter