Handling Academic Stress 2020: A New Challenge

Albert Gerlick, Senior Staff Writer

Before 2020, school just as it was, seemed already stressful enough. This year, however, the academic pressure placed on students took on whole new intensity due to the rise of the COVID-19 pandemic. Many aspects of life have been changed or adapted since COVID-19, and school was no exception. At Hubbard High School, students were offered two learning options. Most people chose hybrid learning: students may come into class two days a week and submit online work the rest of the week. On the other hand, students have the alternative to go completely remote: all work and learning is completed online.  As students are adjusting to this new way of learning, they must overcome the stressful obstacles they will be challenged with throughout this school year. Fortunately, there are many coping techniques to control this pandemic school adversity. 

One way to handle the academic stress is to stay organized. Students should create a schedule that allows them to balance their work and personal life. This organization will ensure that assignments don’t creep unexpectedly and cause extra stress. Therefore, it is important to utilize time wisely in high school. This method has been very successful for Senior Nicholas Capuzello, who states, “Having a plan for the week allows me to stay on track with school and enjoy my free time with my friends.”

Another way to handle academic pressures is to get a good night’s sleep. Sleep is proven to increase one’s cognitive abilities. According to collegexpress, “The more sleep you [students] get, the better your brain is at storing information.” If students  feel as if they do not have enough time to sleep enough, they can try to explore new studying strategies which will enable them to get more rest in preparation for a tough school week. The benefits of sleep are critical for academic success and relieving stress.

The new challenges of this school year are unique to no other generation. Students must adapt to their new environment and conquer the stress. Senior Zachary Jones explains, “You really just push through it” when asked how he will handle this year tensions. So try to keep a positive mindset and power through these struggles. Think of stories that will be able to be passed around at some future point when the Covid pandemic is nothing more than a bad memory.  

https://www.collegexpress.com/articles-and-advice/majors-and-academics/articles/study-smarter/how-important-sleep-academic-success/#:~:text=Proper%20sleep%20means%20an%20ability,classes%2C%20or%20make%20important%20decisions.

https://oconnorpg.com/10-tips-deal-academic-stress/