Hottest Brands at HHS

Alexandria Phillips, Senior Staff Writer

Everyone knows that fashion trends are ever changing. From bell bottoms to skinny jeans, they come and go. Popular brands, such as Nike, Vans, Tommy Hilfiger and Calvin Klein offer affordable designer clothing and shoe items for the average teen’s fancy. These brands have remained popular and voguish for over decades and are still continuing in popularity today. However, there are others that teens also prefer.

An online Gen Z survey in Business Insider “targeted 9,500 teens across the United States, with an average age of 15.8, asking them to pick their favorite apparel brands.” These are the Top Ten, in oder from least to most desirable:  10) Champion, 9) H & M, 8) Vans, 7) Lululemon, 6) Forever 21, 5) Pacific Sun, 4) Hollister, 3) Addidas, 2) American Eagle, and 1) Nike.  Surely most teens have something from one of these brand names in their closet today.

Strictly in the designer category, many HHS students tend to continue to favor Tommy Hilfiger.  Since 1985, Tommy Hilfiger has been one of the biggest brands in teen style. In the 90’s, celebrities such as Aaliyah and Beyoncé served as walking billboards for the media, and had a heavy influence on trends that targeted the youth. Sweatpants, jeans, and backpacks are just a few items this brand features and senior Taylor Perline finds Tommy Hilfiger as suitable to her liking. “I’ve always thought that Tommy was a nice brand,” she says, “I have some sweaters and hoodies by them.” To this day, Tommy Hilfiger still offers high quality items with style for everyday wear.

On the high-end designer scale, Dior has been rather trendy through collaborations and their more affordable items. Following the online release of the Air Jordan 1 Dior sneaker earlier this year, one can see the growing craze for this very exclusive shoe.  Junior, Mikey Scoville, says that he has noticed this craze. “I feel like the brand has been very popular since the release of the Jordan 1 Dior, which is a very rare and expensive shoe.”  With a retail price of $2,200 and being one of the most expensive Air Jordans sold at retail price, this shoe is extremely pricey for a sneaker.  Naturally, because of the cost, the Jordan 1 lacks dominance in the average teen’s closet, even though its popularity is growing. To reach a standard consumer’s budget, Dior also offers luxurious fragrances one can find at their local cosmetics store, such as Sephora or Ulta. “I like Dior because I love their perfumes,” said senior, Sarah Salata. 

Fashion can be viewed as a form of self expression. As featured in Tapered Magazine, Rachel Zoe once said, “Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak.” Yes, having designer threads in your wardrobe is nice, but one doesn’t have to break the bank in order to look good.  For example, Isabella Sandberg, a senior at Hubbard High School states, “I try to be responsible with my money and not splurge on expensive clothing; but I do sometimes browse websites of designer brands and think about it.” So if you have a passion for fashion, but don’t wish to go broke, look at designer trends and recreate them with less expensive copies. Happy Shopping!

www.global.tommy.com/aboutus

https://www.businessinsider.com/teens-favorite-clothing-brands-nike-adidas-american-eagle-2019-10#2-american-eagle-9

www.cosmeticdesign.com

www.taperedmagazine.com

www.sneakerbardetroit.com