Jeopardy Host, Alex Trebek, Dies of Cancer

Nicholas Capuzello, Senior Staff Writer

On November 8th, 2020, beloved Jeopardy! Host Alex Trebek passed away in his home in Los Angeles. Alex Trebek was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in March, 2019.  Alex has hosted a number of game shows but he is best known for hosting Jeopardy!. Jeopardy! has been a household favorite among families all around the world for decades. Alex was the host of Jeopardy! for 37 years beginning in 1984 until his death in 2020.

Alex was born in Sudbury, Ontario, on July 22, 1940, state online sources. He attended high school at Sudbury High School and graduated in 1957. Later in 1957 Trebek’s desire for further education led him to the University of Ottawa where he graduated with a degree in philosophy. Soon after graduating, he began working as a staff announcer at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. His responsibilities there included providing news, weather, and sports on the radio and television. He began being noticed for his composure and talent in front of a camera. Because of this personal presence and poise, he was chosen to host a variety of different shows including Music Hop and Reach for the Top. Eventually in 1984, Trebek was elected to be the host of Jeopardy!, and the rest is history.

Many students at Hubbard High School are disheartened by Alex’s death. One Hubbard High School senior that was hurt by the news is Albert Gerlick. He said, “I think it’s very sad to see such an icon pass away. I, like many others, enjoyed watching Jeopardy! with my family.” Another Hubbard High School senior that was hurt by Alex Trebek’s passing is Pantelis Pizanis. Pantelis said “It saddened me because when I was growing up, my grandma had only a few TV channels so we would watch Jeopardy! to spend time together.”

Although he spent a lifetime entertaining family households, Trebek spent his final moments with his wife, showing us the importance of family and strong relationships – may he rest in peace knowing that besides the mental challenge he provided with us daily, his was inspirational in other ways as well. 

https://www.jeopardy.com/about/cast/alex-trebek

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Alex-Trebek