Have a Holly, Jolly…Thanksgiving?

Have a Holly, Jolly...Thanksgiving?

Brynn Cook, Junior Staff Writer

Now that Halloween is done, people all over the country are suddenly putting up their Christmas decorations. Is it too early to celebrate? Thanksgiving hasn’t even passed yet. Every year, there is the battle between those who start celebrating the holidays before Thanksgiving and those who start celebrating after. According to sources, people who decorate for Christmas early tend to be happier, believe it or not.  According to an article from Unilad, Psychoanalyst Steve McKeown said, “In a world full of stress and anxiety, people like to associate with things that make them happy, and Christmas decorations evoke those strong feelings of the childhood.” It does make sense, as those who decorate early seem to have more holiday cheer during Christmas. 

I decided to take a student poll based on this very idea. Out of 51 people, 23 of them said that their families decorate before Thanksgiving, and 28 decorate after. Mikey Scoville, a junior at Hubbard High School, states, “I mainly decorate after Thanksgiving, because my birthday is right around Thanksgiving. This year it’s on Thanksgiving, and I don’t want to skip over it. My family agrees.” People have been arguing that since 2020 was a trainwreck of a year that decorating early is allowed to help bring some holiday cheer to the world. That’s debatable for everyone, depending on their relationship with the holidays. Some people just don’t enjoy them and prefer waiting to decorate. Mrs. Jaclyn Delmonte, one of the health and PE teachers at Hubbard remarks, “I usually wait until after Thanksgiving, but since this year has been tough, we have already decorated the outside of our house and will decorate the inside soon! We need some extra joy this year and I love Christmas lights. So, we decided to decorate early!”

Living in Ohio, the temperature is always all over the place. One never knows when it’ll be warm. Decorating early could save someone from being outside in the freezing cold, but because it’s Ohio, sometimes it’s warmer in December than it is in November. Mali Harper, a sophomore, explains, “My family likes to decorate early, because my step-dad grew up in Florida. The weather was always nice, but in Ohio you never know what you’ll get.” 

https://www.marieclaire.co.uk/life/homes-and-interiors/christmas-decorations-early-happier-624592