Christmas Classics at HHS

Caroline Capuzello, Freshman Staff Writer

Most Popular Christmas Movies at HHS 

When you think about Christmas, one thing that may come to mind is relaxing in front of the television with your favorite holiday movie playing on repeat. We all have our favorites, but what really makes a movie special? And why are Christmas movies so popular?  According to an online source: In his 2016 book, Christmas as Religion, the religious studies scholar Christopher Deacy states that Christmas movies act as a “barometer of how we might want to live and how we might see and measure ourselves. So many times these movies are popular because we see characters like ourselves who must solve ethical dilemmas. These plots often reinforce social values and ideals. So, whether you like these movies for their plot, their message, or just for tehir comforting sense of nostalgia, here are some favorites that get the staff and students of HHS in the holiday spirit. 

A Christmas Story (1983): Since 1983, this iconic film has never failed to deliver its gifts. “My favorite movie is A Christmas Story because it’s funny, relatable, a classic, and because I went to the house in Cleveland,” says Jaden Johnston, a junior at Hubbard. The subtext of A Christmas Story shows that although the holidays can be stressful, messy, and frantic, it’s all worth it on Christmas morning with your family. This film is stacked with classic moments like tongues on flagpoles, debatably ugly leg lamps, a malevolent Santa Clause, a Red Ryder BB gun, and the list goes on. This film has been so successful that a 24-hour marathon has aired every Christmas Eve and Day on TBS and TNT every year since 1997. 

How The Grinch Stole Christmas (2000): Freshman Sydney Ward says, “I love The Grinch because it’s so funny and I look forward to watching it every year.” This hilarious yet heartwarming film has everything a good movie needs: Laughter, music, and a happy ending. It shows that a little kindness goes a long way, even in the dark depths of the Grinch’s heart. 

Elf (2003): “The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear.” If you say you don’t like the movie, you’re sitting on a throne of lies. The reason why? Will Ferrell and his amazing portrayal of a man that grew up believing he was an elf. “I like the movie Elf because Will Ferrell is really funny and I’ve watched it with my family since I was little,” says senior Nicholas Capuzello. Ferrell’s acting took his career and this movie to the next level. It is gleeful, quotable, and something everyone can enjoy. This movie can give even the biggest Grinch the laughter and Christmas spirit they need. 

Some other classics staff and students at Hubbard love are Home Alone 1 and 2, The Polar Express, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and Frosty the Snowman. Theconversation.com says “Holiday movies offer us a glimpse into how the world could be, often in sharp contrast to our lives as they are.” One of the main reasons we love these movies is because they provide a sort of comfort to the craziness and stresses of the holiday season. 

Sources: https://theconversation.com/what-makes-christmas-movies-so-popular-127972