Living on or off Campus During College: Which is more Beneficial?

Kennedy Evans, Junior Staff Writer

Many high school students grow up hearing about the wonders and adventures of college, but then senior year arrives and they are faced with a very difficult question: Do I live on campus or live at home? Many things come into play with this question such as: the driving distance from home, the number of classes per day, and financial situations. A main concern amongst college students is, “Will I miss out on the “college experience” by living at home?” There are many studies on this and many different opinions. According to The New York Times, about 87% of college students lived off campus in 2016. 

There are many valid reasons why staying at home is more beneficial for some students. One impactful reason for students choosing living at home is the simple fact that living on campus is expensive, and many students find they cannot afford to live on campus with all the other expenses they have to account for. It is not just the housing you have to worry about in college, but as well as the schooling. The schooling itself is very extensive and if you add all the books you have to purchase it can become a very hard situation. This is why most college students have to take out loans, that they spend most of their lives paying back. Not to mention the other expenses college students are faced with such as a car payment, insurance, phone bills, food, and many more. Junior Brianna Scarmack shares why she prefers staying at home, “I think living at home is the better option because it gives me the opportunity to save money, and spend more time with my family.” 

In addition, staying at home is helpful for some students because living in a dorm can be a little crazy. While staying at home you have your privacy and room to live, sometimes in a dorm you can feel a little enclosed. Also with all those students in one place, it can get a little wild. It might be harder for a student to study and get work done with a crazy roommate, or parties happening the next room over. If you like your space and your privacy you might not want to live in a dorm where 20 students share a bathroom. Luckily, there are other options instead of living on campus, such as renting an apartment off campus so you still get the independent life while having room to breathe and lots of privacy. Some students enjoy the craziness that is dorm living, and others prefer a more quiet setting to get their studies done. 

Some students say you are missing out on the “college experience” if you do not live on campus. There are many pros to living on campus, such as making new friends and forming relationships. Living at home might cause you to miss out on some relationships that could last a lifetime and that is what some students worry about. Another benefit of living on campus is, you are closer to all your classes and do not have to waste gas and time driving to school everyday. There is also quicker access to all the resources on campus, such as the library, the dining hall, and tutoring resources. Senior Lena Dunkerley shares why living on campus is more beneficial, “I think on campus because if you live at home you are not getting the full experience, you’re taking classes. Plus if you go to college you are more likely to make new friends and connections.”

In conclusion, there are pros and cons of living on campus and living at home. It all depends on what type of person you are. If you are an outgoing person who wants to meet new people and get connected and experience college in its fullest then living on campus would be more beneficial to you. If you are the type of person that wants to save money for your future, and get through college quickly and straight to the point then living at home, or off campus would be more beneficial for you. Both are great opportunities, but it is up to you to decide which path you want to take! 

https://www.mycollegeoptions.org/Core/SiteContent/Students/Advice/College-Resource-Center/College-Life/Social-Life/Living-On-Campus-vs-Off-Campus.aspx

https://www.nytimes.com/