Covid-19 Makes Internet Access a Necessity

Caroline Capuzello, Freshman Staff Writer

The term “essential” has become a catchphrase of this new pandemic era; particular jobs, positions and locations have been labeled in that way.  However, one element that is absolutely essential today is internet access. Without it, most are lost.  “53% of Americans say the internet has become and absolute necessity during the COVID-19 outbreak,” states the Pew Research Center. With social distancing and quarantines, many people are living their lives online.

Students all around the world have turned to online learning, and without the internet, students would have a hard time completing their schoolwork. Freshman Nevaeh Arci says, “Internet access is important and helpful because without it, I wouldn’t be able to do any of my work. Being all remote without access would’ve been very difficult and more stressful than it already is.” It’s helpful to have all of a student’s classes online in one place, in order to keep track of a student’s work, which is why teachers at HHS are using the Google Classroom platform. 

Along with school, internet access is also very important for the social aspect of teenage and adult lives during Covid-19. The internet provides a place for people to safely connect with one another without being in contact. Facetime, Zoom, and Google Meet are only some of the ways people are staying in touch.  “During quarantine it was hard to stay in touch with people because you couldn’t go anywhere, so having internet access came in handy. My friends and I would talk and play games with each other for hours on Facetime. It was a really nice way to talk and stay social while being safe,” says Sydney Ward, a student at Hubbard High School. Though it’s not the same as seeing your friends and family in person, it’s the best way to stay connected safely while being isolated at home. 

As reported, COVID-19 cases continued to climb in the fall and winter months, and guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that workers work remotely if possible. Working from home would be impossible without internet access, thus limiting the spread of Covid-19. Although no one wants to live life through a screen, internet access is essential to stay safe during this global health crisis.

Sources: https://www.pewresearch.org/ https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html