The Debate: CCP or AP?

Great Jewish Books SUmmer Program 2014

Jim Gipe Photographer

Great Jewish Books SUmmer Program 2014

Samuel Esposito, Senior Staff Writer

So you have determined to take an upper-level course your senior year.  Do you sign up for CCP or AP classes?  Are they all the same or are they different?  Well, here at HHS, you have an opportunity to take a CCP or Honors class in most subjects, but also an AP class in Art.  So which do you choose? 

High School College Credit Plus (CCP) and Advanced Placement (AP) classes are assumed to be the same thing by many people; however, that is not the case. They both have their separate advantages and disadvantages, and it’s important to know the difference. Blogger Kelly Maclean explains: “AP and CCP classes are great options for students who want to get a jump start on their college education. These types of courses allow you to get ahead with your college credit, and potentially even earn an Associate’s degree before finishing high school.”  Still, a student needs to determine which course is right for him or her. 

So, let’s first talk about the difference between the two. The core differences between AP and CCP courses are that AP does not require an ACT score (although a placement exam must be completed) and college credit is not guaranteed. CCP does require a minimum ACT score and the class will provide college credit given the requirements are met. 

CCP courses are provided by a local college and are offered as an option beginning the junior year of high school.  Hubbard offers CCP courses from Youngstown State University and Eastern Gateway College. The ACT must be taken and a minimum score achieved, which varies for each course. In consultation with the high school guidance counselor, some ACT scores can be waived depending on GPA. College Credit is only offered to the students that meet the requirements; it is not just given for taking the course. 

Declan O’Hara, a recent graduate from Hubbard High School, provided his experience with CCP courses his Junior and Senior year. “Taking CCP classes was the best decision I made to set myself up for my college education. The ability to get the required Gen Ed courses out of the way in order to begin pursuing your chosen major’s specific classes is an opportunity you should not miss out on. Taking your college classes in high school also grants you resources that you may not have in a large college lecture hall, such as your high school teacher to ask questions to in addition to your given college professor that may not be as available.”

AP courses are highschool classes that are designed to better prepare students for college; these can be taken in a student’s junior year or senior year. The placement tests required for these courses cost $98. This payment cannot be waived. A separate payment is required per number of AP classes taken. College credit can be earned through acquiring a certain score on the AP exam. 

Senior Oliver Roose has chosen to take CCP over AP classes. His reasoning for doing so is that “CCP was going to be a challenge that forced me to improve. I chose CCP over AP because I felt AP would over emphasize the hassle without a guaranteed benefit.” 

With the above information, perhaps students of Hubbard should be able to differentiate  between CCP and AP courses.  There are many benefits of taking either CCP or AP classes. Even if college is not in your future plans, these classes are recommended to take. They push you to learn and try harder than in a regular high school class. Which option seems right for you?

Source: https://www.kelly-mac.com/blog/ap-vs-ccp