Frosh Sound Out on High School Experience

Back to Article
Back to Article

Christina Kim, Junior Staff Writer

Like every other year, a new school year commences, and new faces show up in the halls of the high school. These new faces belong to those who are enrolling in their first year of HHS. All unfamiliar beginnings can be exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time, especially if a student doesn’t know what to expect. Starting freshman year in high school is a notorious new beginning, so how did the newbies of this year react to it?

Frosh Lance GoodemoteLance Goodemote, an Honors student, was understandably nervous for starting the 2015-2016. He wasn’t familiar with the building, or his new teachers. After a few weeks of high school, Goodemote started relaxing and recognized the benefits of moving up a grade. He especially appreciates the fact that faculty no longer treat him as a kid, but as a young adult.

At first scared of the upperclassmen and new test systems, Claudia Flowers is also an Honors freshman at HHS. Like most of her other peers, Flowers has realized that high school is not as horrible as it seems, and actually enjoys the freedom that is given to high schoolers. Her one tip to next year’s freshmen is to “respect your teachers and don’t be too nervous.”

Judging from the interviews it seems that many are intimidated by the transition from being the oldest in the middle school to the youngest in the high school. It isn’t until a few weeks that the tension in freshmen eases up. To make the process less terrifying, the HUB staff has created a “Survival Guide” to help the new students.

The HUB’s Freshman Survival Guide: The Dos and Don’ts

1. Don’t skip orientation. This is your chance to get introduced to the building, staff, and other students.
  2. Do start the day off in a positive note and continue to be optimistic throughout the day. Remember, high school is only what you make it out to be.
  3. Do be friendly to EVERYONE.
  4. Do be familiar with the dress code and other school rules. Who wants to start the school year by getting yelled at and/or getting a detention?
  5. Don’t start drama. Nobody has time for that in high school!
  6. Don’t worry about what others think of you! It would be a shame if other’s opinions stopped you from doing something. Who cares if you’re extremely intelligent, if you have a great sense of style, if you like to sing, or if you like to act? Be yourself!
  7. Do start getting involved with high school extracurriculars. That means start joining clubs, sports, outside school activities. Every morning and afternoon the office provides announcements where opportunities to get involved are offered. Take advantage of it and start signing up! No one is “too cool” for anything.
  8. Do your homework. Homework amounts to a significant amount of points in the end, and it gives you a better understanding of the material that was taught.
  9. Do be organized. Always have your planner with you; it also acts as a hall pass.
  10. Do start thinking about college, but not so much that it overwhelms you. It may seem far off, but it’s closer than you think. It doesn’t hurt to plan ahead.

If the freshmen follow these few simple steps, transition from middle to high school should be a breeze! Good luck to all our HHS newbies!

Christina Kim, Senior Global News Editor

Returning to The HUB staff for her third and final year, Christina Kim is currently a senior at Hubbard High School. Her determination to make a...

• Frosh Sound Out on High School Experience

Teacher/Student Features

SRO Introduced at Hubbard High

Teacher/Student Features

S.T.E.A.M. Fest 2019

Teacher/Student Features

Hubbard Welcomes New Staff and Administrator

Teacher/Student Features

What Makes a Good Teacher?

Teacher/Student Features

Senior Class Update One: Thoughts on the Future

Teacher/Student Features

Spanish Dept. Boasts a New Addition

Teacher/Student Features

An Educational Legacy: Tribute to Mrs. Linda Slater

Teacher/Student Features

The Skinny on the Cell Phone Policy

Teacher/Student Features

New School Year Brings New Rules

Teacher/Student Features

HHS October Rotary Students of the Month