A Weightlifting Wonder

Taylor Raseta, Junior Staff Writer

HHS student Allie Perry has been chosen for this month’s Student of the Month for her hard work and success in competitive weight lifting. Allie Perry is a sophomore at HHS and is the daughter of Janet and Joseph Perry. 

Allie has been lifting weights and strength training for two years now. She became interested in this competitive sport after she began strength training at Snap Fitness in Hubbard.  In an interview with Allie, she stated: “I never expected to be very good at lifting, but the more I practiced the better I got. Finally I was convinced to do one meet and ever since then I have been hooked.” 

Allie has competed in a number of different tournaments including the Ohio State Championship in 2014 and 2015; the 2015 Lake Erie sports festival Deadlift Invitational, the 2015 Battle of the Great Lakes, and the 2015 USAPL National Championship. The National Championship is a USA Powerlifting competition that was started in 2010; it has grown since then and is now a much respected Powerlifting contest. Allie has placed in all the competitions in which she has participated, earning 1st place in the Teen Division at the USAPL National championship, and three other 1st place medals.

When asked why she enjoys lifting, Allie responded, “I enjoy lifting because the only person you are competing against is yourself. Your goal is to improve, whether it’s by 1 pound or 20. Powerlifting gives you so much confidence, and I am so proud of myself for what I’ve accomplished.”

Power lifting is slowly becoming and more and more popular competitive sport; in fact, in the 2016-17 school year, Hubbard will be offering a powerlifting club, which will teach perseverance, self-confidence and the proper lifting techniques.

Allie would like to thank her coaches Dave and Carrye Stallard for pushing her and helping her accomplish her goals. Congratulations Allie, for everything you have done! We wish you the best of luck for what is to come.

powerlifting 1