The Skinny on the Cell Phone Policy

Hannah Johns, Sophomore Staff Writer

Hubbard High School has made many changes this year involving dress code, attendance, and the cell phone policy. The cell phone policy for the school has been revised from disallowance to limited allowance, students being able to use their phone in class for educational purposes. This change has affected many in the school, such as staff and students.

This reporter asked Assistant Principal Mr. Austin Handrych, if he felt that having students use phones for educational purposes would be truly educative.  He replied saying, “Yes, I think technology is always a way forward. Most mandatory tests for Ohio are online and using technology will help the students become better at taking online tests.” The reporter asked sophomore Cassie Herberger if she felt that the new cell phone policy should be further revised.  Her reply was, “I think it should be changed to having all of our books and our homework on our phones, because it is easier than carrying around heavy books.”

Online sources present other reasons in support of using cell phones for educational purposes.  Here are five of these:

• Students learn in a way they are comfortable. Smartphones are young-person intuitive. More and more students know how to use them, and they are becoming the most used “tool” by teens.
  • Students can get answers quickly. Smartphones provide the ability to get answers quickly. In some situations, a student may not ask for clarification to a question he or she has in an open classroom. Use of a smartphone in a classroom setting can provide those answers.
  • Audio and video can bring learning to life. Audio and video capabilities of smartphones can put a voice to John F. Kennedy, a dramatic video image to the Hindenburg disaster, and allow students to hear the music of Chopin or Al Jolson. They can even connect with other students from around the globe and expand their learning world.
  • Access to educational apps. Equipping your classroom with handy learning apps takes learning up a notch. There are many educational apps available in a wide range of subjects for all kinds of learners. These game-like exercises encourage playful competition among your students, while enhancing the way they learn new ideas. Plus, students (and teacher) will love the change from regular lecture instruction.
  • Smartphones allow for social learning. Smartphones can allow students to work in groups on projects, sharing information and discoveries. They can move toward a common goal, again, in a format they are comfortable using

Source: https://education.cu-portland.edu/blog/tech-ed/should-students-use-their-smartphones-as-learning-tools/

So it appears that there is positive support out there for the use of cellphones in school, but perhaps there is both positive and negative?  This reporter asked Mr. Chris Moriarty, English teacher whether he felt that using cell phones in school for educational purposes was a positive or negative move and why.  His reply was, “A little of each, personally I hate it but I do want it to become a positive thing because it is a good resource. Showing the proper culture is very important.” Student Kyleigh Johnson stated, “I feel that having our phones on us during the school day can make it easier on students and teachers. When we are doing things that require a timer or a calculator instead of waiting for one and not finishing our work, we could just use our phones.”

Overall, from staff to students, most feel that this new policy could help everyone as long as it is obeyed and phones are used for the purpose designated.  So, welcome to the 21st century, Hubbard High School!

Hannah Johns, Junior Staff Writer
  • Hannah Johns is a junior at Hubbard High School. This is her her second year as a Hub staff member. Hannah enjoys writing about anything that is relatable to her and appealing to or informative for the students of Hubbard High School.
  • Hannah is currently enrolled in all honors classes. She participates in the Ecology and ASL Clubs, and is a member of the Hubbard yearbook staff. These classes/clubs keep her very busy, but that doesn’t stop her from having fun outside of school. Hannah is a competitive dancer at J&J’s Dance Depot. Her classes include: ballet, tap, jazz, lyrical, pointe and more.  Along with her own dance lessons, Hannah instructs the younger girls and boys in basic dance moves.
  • Hannah hopes to graduate high school with honors and maintain a high GPA. After high school, she wants to attend a good college, which is yet to be decided, and pursue a career in the medical field. She enjoys traveling and plans to visit places such as Hawaii, Germany and Australia.

• The Skinny on the Cell Phone Policy

Teacher/Student Features

Hubbard Welcomes New Staff and Administrator

• The Skinny on the Cell Phone Policy

Teacher/Student Features

What Makes a Good Teacher?

• The Skinny on the Cell Phone Policy

Teacher/Student Features

Senior Class Update One: Thoughts on the Future

• The Skinny on the Cell Phone Policy

Teacher/Student Features

Secret Santa-Class of 2019

• The Skinny on the Cell Phone Policy

Teacher/Student Features

Spanish Dept. Boasts a New Addition

• The Skinny on the Cell Phone Policy

Teacher/Student Features

An Educational Legacy: Tribute to Mrs. Linda Slater

• The Skinny on the Cell Phone Policy

Teacher/Student Features

New School Year Brings New Rules

• The Skinny on the Cell Phone Policy

Teacher/Student Features

HHS October Rotary Students of the Month

• The Skinny on the Cell Phone Policy

Teacher/Student Features

Rotary Recognizes September Honorees

• The Skinny on the Cell Phone Policy

Teacher/Student Features

A Weightlifting Wonder

The Skinny on the Cell Phone Policy