What Makes a Good Teacher?

Back to Article
Back to Article

What Makes a Good Teacher?

Eloy Kim, Sophomore Staff Writer

Students make up the heart of all schools—and teachers are the lifeblood. Seeing how important it is for instructors and their pupils to coexist, it’s curious to see how students distinguish “good” teachers from “bad” ones. Hence the question: what makes a good teacher?

The preparation of students for life beyond high school is, of course, the ultimate goal of all secondary education teaching staffs. To many students, this fulfillment of a teacher’s duty corresponds to being a good teacher. It is important to note, however, that several students, such as Albert Gerlick and Jeffrey Hazy (both sophomores at Hubbard High School), believe that several additional qualities must be present in all teachers.

In addition to preparing kids for the future, Albert Gerlick believes a good teacher is one who also “shows up to class with a positive attitude and always comes organized and ready for the day.” Gerlick especially values teachers who have “just the right balance of humor and seriousness while teaching” and ones who “challenge you and prepare you for whatever profession or field you follow.”

In the words of Jeffrey Hazy: “A good teacher respects students’ ideas and encourages them to pursue their interests. A good teacher should also work with a student to help them if they have trouble.” Hazy continues to say that the quality he values the most is “their (the teachers’) ability to deal with each student differently and to help him/her get through class.”

An online article by the Washington Post suggests that there are actually 12 qualities reflected in those labelled as “good” teachers.  These included: a passion for their students and their subject, a willingness to change and reflect, organization and a strong ego to overcome the tough days, to name a few.  Perhaps the students here at HHS would agree with some of these.

However, the opinions of every student are different. The answer to the question of “what makes a good teacher” is one that depends on the person one is, and what goals he or she has as a young, maturing individual, still finding his or her way in life.  And in that stressful period called high school life, it is these teachers who guide students the best they can, thus making their lives a little easier and more meaningful. Perhaps that is what makes a teacher a “good” one.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/the-12-qualities-great-teachers-share/2011/06/13/AGL64fTH_blog.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.d8c20fceb904

Eloy Kim, Sophomore Staff Writer

Eloy Kim is entering his sophomore year at Hubbard High School and is a first-year staff member of the HUB. Under the guidance of experienced HUB members...

• What Makes a Good Teacher?

Teacher/Student Features

Hubbard Welcomes New Staff and Administrator

• What Makes a Good Teacher?

Teacher/Student Features

Senior Class Update One: Thoughts on the Future

• What Makes a Good Teacher?

Teacher/Student Features

Secret Santa-Class of 2019

• What Makes a Good Teacher?

Teacher/Student Features

Spanish Dept. Boasts a New Addition

• What Makes a Good Teacher?

Teacher/Student Features

An Educational Legacy: Tribute to Mrs. Linda Slater

• What Makes a Good Teacher?

Teacher/Student Features

The Skinny on the Cell Phone Policy

• What Makes a Good Teacher?

Teacher/Student Features

New School Year Brings New Rules

• What Makes a Good Teacher?

Teacher/Student Features

HHS October Rotary Students of the Month

• What Makes a Good Teacher?

Teacher/Student Features

Rotary Recognizes September Honorees

• What Makes a Good Teacher?

Teacher/Student Features

A Weightlifting Wonder

What Makes a Good Teacher?