SRO Introduced at Hubbard High

Back to Article
Back to Article

SRO Introduced at Hubbard High

Hannah Moffit, Senior Staff Writer

Do you know what an SRO is? “A school resource officer, by federal definition, is a career law enforcement officer with sworn authority who is deployed by an employing police department or agency in a community-oriented policing assignment to work in collaboration with one or more schools,” states the National Association of School Resource Officers. This is Hubbard High School’s first opportunity to have an SRO, so let’s learn a little about him.

Hubbard Sergeant Robert Thompson is the newest staff member at Hubbard High School, working as the School Resource Officer.  Thompson started at the Hubbard Police Department in 1996 as a part-timer until 1998. Then from 1998 to 2011, Thompson worked as a full-timer. He became a sergeant in 2011, and he has the potential to become Chief of Police in the near future. When Officer Thompson was asked about his inspiration to become a police officer, he responded, “I wanted to become a police officer because I’ve always had a desire to help people. I grew up watching my parents always helping people out. Also, the excitement and rush of being a police officer are what makes me want to do my job every day.”

Officer Thompson was also asked what made him want to apply for the position of School Resource Officer. He replied: “ There is a more positive environment working with the kids at Hubbard. I am hoping to give the kids a positive opinion about the police. I want to gain their trust and help them in any way that I can, as well as keeping them safe.”  

As anyone can tell, Officer Thompson thinks that his position as the SRO is very rewarding. Some of the advantages he sees to his new position are the following: “I have a great schedule! I really enjoy working with the kids and staff every day. I hope to help these kids learn from their small mistakes before they become adults and the problems multiply.”

“I 100% think that I made a good choice applying to be Hubbard’s School Resource Officer. SRO’s are important to Hubbard’s school district for many reasons. First and foremost, SRO’s help to give the students a safe learning environment. My presence is another resource to help learn and expand the educational experience while increasing trust in the police and showing students that there is another caring presence in the district.”

Officer Thompson is very proud of the role he plays in Hubbard schools. HHS is fortunate to have a determined SRO who understands his position and cares for the local community.  Welcome, Officer Thompson!

Hannah Moffit, Senior Staff Writer

Hannah Moffitt is a first year staff member of The HUB. A senior at Hubbard High School, Hannah joined the news site because of her passion for writing...

• SRO Introduced at Hubbard High

Teacher/Student Features

S.T.E.A.M. Fest 2019

• SRO Introduced at Hubbard High

Teacher/Student Features

Hubbard Welcomes New Staff and Administrator

• SRO Introduced at Hubbard High

Teacher/Student Features

What Makes a Good Teacher?

• SRO Introduced at Hubbard High

Teacher/Student Features

Senior Class Update One: Thoughts on the Future

• SRO Introduced at Hubbard High

Teacher/Student Features

Spanish Dept. Boasts a New Addition

• SRO Introduced at Hubbard High

Teacher/Student Features

An Educational Legacy: Tribute to Mrs. Linda Slater

• SRO Introduced at Hubbard High

Teacher/Student Features

The Skinny on the Cell Phone Policy

• SRO Introduced at Hubbard High

Teacher/Student Features

New School Year Brings New Rules

• SRO Introduced at Hubbard High

Teacher/Student Features

HHS October Rotary Students of the Month

• SRO Introduced at Hubbard High

Teacher/Student Features

Rotary Recognizes September Honorees

SRO Introduced at Hubbard High