Wack’s Hallway of Wonder

Brynn Cook, Junior Staff Writer

Most students here at Hubbard High School know who Mrs. Deborah Wack (Social Studies) is, whether you’ve had her as a student or you’ve heard about her from previous students.  Although everyone knows Mrs. Wack, not everyone knows that she is the mastermind behind the decorations in the upstairs hallway. The decorations have been a big hit with the staff and students, so the HUB staff wanted to sit down with Mrs. Wack and get her input. When asked what made her decide to decorate the halls, Mrs. Wack replied, “It all began with decorating my door for holidays. Then, it spread to the door on Mrs. Bartholomew and Mrs. Johnson’s room, and then the doorways. After so many students had positive responses, I decided to expand.” 

The decorations bring a lot of joy to the staff and students. Sophomore Malaree Harper said, “The decorations pump me up with so much genuine serotonin.” The decorations were a success among everyone in Hubbard High School. No one expected it to blow up, including Mrs. Wack. She says: “I never really thought it would become such a sensation. I really do it for pure enjoyment. Plus, I find it relaxing. If I can put a smile on even one person’s face a day, I have achieved my goal. There is so much negativity in the world today, I like to introduce fun and enjoyment once in a while!” 

With everything going on in the world right now, seeing the hallway decorated gives students and staff the pick-me-up that we all need. When asked if she gets a lot of compliments on the door, Wack replied: “Many people have positive comments about the hallway and door decorations. I like to think it adds a little sunshine to their day.” Some students find adding decorations to the halls make the school look less bland, less “institutional”.  Junior Adrienne Elliott, commented: “They (the decorated hallways) make me feel like the school doesn’t have to be bland. A little decoration goes a long way, and I think we should have more hallways like that, maybe even make her in charge of creating more themed hallways just like that.”