Hubbard Hangs on to Beat Niles

Hubbard Hangs on to Beat Niles

Bill Heath, Senior Sports Editor

The weather wasn’t the only thing crazy at Bo Rein Stadium on Saturday, November 3rd, 2012. There was a football game being played, and revenge being sought after by the Niles Red Dragons whose undefeated season was cut short by Hubbard earlier this year. Niles didn’t get that revenge. The Eagles, a #7 seed, beat Niles, a #2 seed, 37-29 in the first round of the Division III playoffs Saturday night.

The Eagles started strong, especially on defense, forcing a fumble that led to an offensive touchdown and a pick-six. Niles would eventually answer, and before the half Brandon Harb let out a “Hail Mary” pass to the endzone. There were three Hubbard players near, five Niles players. Isaiah Scott came down with the touchdown catch to put the Eagles up comfortably at halftime.

However, Niles wasn’t done. After the recovering of three onside kicks, leading to three scores, the Red Dragons were only down three. Then, after rushing over 200+ yards for the second game in a row, LJ Scott took the kickoff, waited for his blocks, hit the seam and took it 70 yards to the house. Hubbard got a couple more stops on defense, including a game-sealing safety by defensive end Ty Korenyi-Both, and the Eagles got the win. Hubbard moves on to play sixth-seeded Akron St. Vincent St Mary, Saturday Night at Austintown Fitch High School. It will be a good game, so please attend and support your Eagles, and help extend the season even further.