HHS Boys Soccer Welcomes Talented Czech Player

Anthony Corrin, Junior Staff Writer

The Hubbard Boys Soccer team have had a successful season so far. They currently have a record of 11-2-1, and are seeded #4 for their district tournament. However, this season, the team has introduced a new and unique player to their lineup. This year, Jiří Janeček, a 17-year-old Czech foreign exchange student from, attending here at Hubbard, has been welcomed by the boys soccer and basketball teams to be a part of their season.

Jiří has been a great asset to the Eagles successful soccer season. He has seven goals on the season, and three assists. Jiří says that “soccer, or as he calls it fútbol, is a lot more popular in his home country of the Czech Republic.” He has been playing for four years now on a club team back home. Jiří states: “The coaches here are better soccer coaches than over there. Other than that, the game is not really different.” He also says that attending school is a lot different, and he likes it better here.

The players and coaches enjoy having Jiři on the team. Head coach Cory Reinard says, “Jiří was welcomed with open arms by the team, he was treated like a brother. It did take some time for him to acclimate to the style of play, but his ability to hold up the ball allows the team to bring in more players for an attack. He is a physical presence and a difficult player for opponents to defend.”   Mikey VanSuch, a junior captain says, “He has been amazing. For him to come all the way from a different country, and to fit it so well with the environment, and with our style of play is incredible!” Jiří has been an instrumental part the soccer season, and he is excited to see what he can bring to this year’s basketball team, as he intends to play this season with the team. No doubt he will be an impressive addition to that team as well.

Anthony Corrin, Senior Staff Writer
  • Anthony is a second year staff writer entering his senior year at HHS. He joined the HUB to strengthen his writing and interviewing skills. Anthony has interest in sports and world events. He is excited to write about both community and professional sports events.
  • Anthony is an involved student. This is his third year playing football and his fourth year playing baseball. Along with the HUB, Anthony is treasurer of Student Council,  a three-year member of Spanish Club, a member of the “You Got a Friend in Me” Club, and is also senior class historian. Anthony is also enrolled to take CCP classes on Youngstown State University’s campus this school year.
  • After high school, Anthony plans on attending the University of Akron to pursue an accounting degree in hopes of getting into the F.B.I. He is excited for this year on the HUB and anxious to be writing interesting and entertaining articles. His favorite thing about the school news site is the ability to freely write about almost anything he has an interest in.
  • HHS Boys Soccer Welcomes Talented Czech Player

Sports

Boys Soccer Scores Victories

Sports

Girls Golf Drives Forward

Sports

National Championship Game 2018

Sports

Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Sports

Lady Eagles Basketball Preview

Sports

Cheerleaders Display Talent and Determination

Sports

Lady Eagles Volleyball Opens Season Strongly

Sports

Eagles Football Sets 2017 Season Goals

Sports

The World Series Hits Home

Sports

Soccer Soars High into the Season