Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Jayden Record, Sophomore Staff Writer

With their first scrimmage played against Beaver Local on Wednesday, November 15th, the regular season is fast approaching for the boys basketball team. Following their best season in years, Coach Justin Townsend hopes to maintain the high level of play that was demonstrated all of last season. With three important players recently graduated, younger players are going to be asked to replace their positions with the same high levels of intensity that these three graduates brought every single day. To fill their void, new seniors are going to be asked to lead the team the same way they did. Senior players for this year are the following: Bashar Rasoul, Zach Resatar, Nick Ferrara, Ian Rudolph, and Jared Southern.  Captains have not been appointed yet.

Coach Townsend and Coach Wellman have been running the same words through the heads of his players all summer: practice how you play. With this mindset, the HHS Eagles have been pushed week after week since open gyms started in October. Lifting for 45-50 minutes before going into the gym has really trained the players’  minds to endure pain and become “mentally tough” as Coach Wellman likes to say.  To further motivate the team, players are constantly reminded of the school’s lackluster past with the few basketball banners displayed in the high school gymnasium. These techniques set a desire in the players to improve and set the stage for the future of Hubbard basketball.

This reporter asked some fellow teammates how they felt about the upcoming season and their responses were very optimistic. Sophomore, and returning varsity point guard, Cam Resatar, stated,  “I expect our team to improve upon last season with an above .500 record.” This is certainly possible with his leadership and the tremendous strides he’s been making to become a better player. Junior Anthony Shaffer was straight to the point; he exclaimed, “If we play as a team rather than play as individuals, we should have a good season.” His size will be very beneficial for all the players this season. Chanze Kelley, another fellow sophomore, was very humble about the team’s potential. “I’m very optimistic for this upcoming season. We have a lot of speed and talent to do well in the regular season and in the playoffs.”  Kelley will  bring a lot of intensity into the game with his fast-style type of play and speedy recovery time. December 1st is the season (and home) opener for the varsity and junior varsity teams. Let’s wish the team the best of luck for the upcoming season!

• Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Top Stories

Very Superstitious

• Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Top Stories

Should Sex Determine Military Service?

• Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Top Stories

Conspiracy Theories Part Three: Mind Control Mania

• Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Top Stories

The Five Highest and Five Lowest Paying College Majors

• Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Top Stories

No Sports Totally Safe for Student Athletes

• Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Top Stories

What to Do in a Winter Wonderland

• Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Top Stories

Life Doesn’t Imitate Art: Ten Lies We Learn from TV Dating Shows

• Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Top Stories

Conspiracy Theories Part Two: The Pentagon UFO Video-Is it ET or the Military?

• Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Top Stories

The Down and Dirty on Eating Disorders

• Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Top Stories

Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals