Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Jayden Record, Sophomore Staff Writer

With their first scrimmage played against Beaver Local on Wednesday, November 15th, the regular season is fast approaching for the boys basketball team. Following their best season in years, Coach Justin Townsend hopes to maintain the high level of play that was demonstrated all of last season. With three important players recently graduated, younger players are going to be asked to replace their positions with the same high levels of intensity that these three graduates brought every single day. To fill their void, new seniors are going to be asked to lead the team the same way they did. Senior players for this year are the following: Bashar Rasoul, Zach Resatar, Nick Ferrara, Ian Rudolph, and Jared Southern.  Captains have not been appointed yet.

Coach Townsend and Coach Wellman have been running the same words through the heads of his players all summer: practice how you play. With this mindset, the HHS Eagles have been pushed week after week since open gyms started in October. Lifting for 45-50 minutes before going into the gym has really trained the players’  minds to endure pain and become “mentally tough” as Coach Wellman likes to say.  To further motivate the team, players are constantly reminded of the school’s lackluster past with the few basketball banners displayed in the high school gymnasium. These techniques set a desire in the players to improve and set the stage for the future of Hubbard basketball.

This reporter asked some fellow teammates how they felt about the upcoming season and their responses were very optimistic. Sophomore, and returning varsity point guard, Cam Resatar, stated,  “I expect our team to improve upon last season with an above .500 record.” This is certainly possible with his leadership and the tremendous strides he’s been making to become a better player. Junior Anthony Shaffer was straight to the point; he exclaimed, “If we play as a team rather than play as individuals, we should have a good season.” His size will be very beneficial for all the players this season. Chanze Kelley, another fellow sophomore, was very humble about the team’s potential. “I’m very optimistic for this upcoming season. We have a lot of speed and talent to do well in the regular season and in the playoffs.”  Kelley will  bring a lot of intensity into the game with his fast-style type of play and speedy recovery time. December 1st is the season (and home) opener for the varsity and junior varsity teams. Let’s wish the team the best of luck for the upcoming season!

Jayden Record, Sophomore Staff Writer
Jayden Record is starting his sophomore year at Hubbard High School. He’s a first-year HUB staff member and enjoys writing in his free time, particularly about sports and current events. Jayden joined the HUB to spread his opinions and have a voice in the student body. Jayden is currently enrolled in all Honors classes: English,...
  • Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Sports

National Championship Game 2018

• Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Sports

Lady Eagles Basketball Preview

• Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Sports

HHS Boys Soccer Welcomes Talented Czech Player

• Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Sports

Cheerleaders Display Talent and Determination

• Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Sports

Lady Eagles Volleyball Opens Season Strongly

• Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Sports

Eagles Football Sets 2017 Season Goals

• Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Sports

The World Series Hits Home

• Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Sports

Soccer Soars High into the Season

• Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Sports

NBA Preview

• Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

Sports

Lady Eagles Soccer: Playing with your Heart is the Key

Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals