National Championship Game 2018

Jackie Adler, Sophomore Staff Writer

All college football teams have one ultimate goal they prepare for all season long, playing for a national championship. However, only four of the best ranked teams can make it to the College Football Playoff.  This year’s playoff games were more exciting than ever.  Among the four teams that were chosen by the selection Committee were: Clemson, as the number 1 seed; Oklahoma, as the number 2 seed; Georgia as the number 3 seed and Alabama as the number 4 seed.  

The number 1 seed and then defending national champions, Clemson, faced off against the Alabama Crimson Tide in the Sugar Bowl.   Alabama soundly defeated the Clemson Tigers by the score of 24-6.  In all of the meetings between these two teams, Alabama has won 14 out of the 18 games played.  Meanwhile, at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California the 2 seed faced the 3 seed in a thrilling game.  Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield, and this year’s Heisman trophy winner, led the Sooners in a good game.  However, it was not enough to move them to the National Championship game.  Georgia’s freshman quarterback Jake Fromm led the Bulldogs to the big stage.  The Sooners started the game off strong, but the Bulldogs charged back.  In a double overtime game, the Georgia Bulldogs pulled off a win with the final score of 54-48.  This game had everyone on the edge of their seats.

With their two big semi-final game wins, the Georgia Bulldogs were set to face off with the Alabama Crimson Tide for the National Title.  This National Championship game was played on January 8, 2018 at the Georgia Dome.   Bulldog fans filled their home stadium, carrying most of the energy of the fans with them.   However, both teams were scoreless in the first quarter.  As the second quarter came around, it seemed like the Bulldogs had control, leading at the half by 13.  

Alabama head coach Nick Saban was not going to take a loss.   The Alabama Crimson Tide came out tough in the second half.  They outscored the Bulldogs in the 3rd and 4th quarters.  Alabama managed to tie up the game.  Nick Saban made quite an adjustment at halftime.  He decided to bench starting quarterback Jalen Hurts for freshman quarterback Tua Tagovailoa.   Alabama tied up the game and at the end of the 4th quarter, and the biggest game of the year was headed into overtime.  

The Bulldogs couldn’t score a touchdown in OT, so they settled for a field goal.   With the spotlight on Alabama’s freshman quarterback, Tagovailoa got on the field and made an incredible 41-yard pass to the end zone, and Alabama wide receiver DeVonta Smith was there to catch the game-winning pass.   This game was a thriller, thanks to both teams, but it was Bama who pulled out this historic National Championship win.  

Some Hubbard High students had hopes for the big game.  Sophomores Rylie Campbell and Joey Kempe wished Georgia would have won.  Sophomore Anthony Romo said “this was the best game of the year!”  Another sophomore, Cam Resatar, said, “Alabama’s freshman QB showed great composure to lead the team to victory!”

This thriller of a game was truly the epitome of college football!

• National Championship Game 2018

Top Stories

Very Superstitious

• National Championship Game 2018

Top Stories

Should Sex Determine Military Service?

• National Championship Game 2018

Top Stories

Conspiracy Theories Part Three: Mind Control Mania

• National Championship Game 2018

Top Stories

The Five Highest and Five Lowest Paying College Majors

• National Championship Game 2018

Top Stories

No Sports Totally Safe for Student Athletes

• National Championship Game 2018

Top Stories

What to Do in a Winter Wonderland

• National Championship Game 2018

Top Stories

Life Doesn’t Imitate Art: Ten Lies We Learn from TV Dating Shows

• National Championship Game 2018

Top Stories

Conspiracy Theories Part Two: The Pentagon UFO Video-Is it ET or the Military?

• National Championship Game 2018

Top Stories

The Down and Dirty on Eating Disorders

• National Championship Game 2018

Top Stories

Does Technology Isolate Teens?

National Championship Game 2018