Girls Golf Drives Forward

Jackie Adler, Junior Staff Writer

The Girls Golf team has already teed off on its 2018-19 season.  The team is off to a decent start with a record of 5-6. This year’s team consists of 10 girls, coached by Abby Cook. There are 3 seniors, 2 juniors, 4 sophomores and 1 freshman. The seniors consist of:  Alison Femia, Jenna Kelver and Paige Haynie. The juniors include Jackie Adler and Amanda Trinckes. The sophomores are Lena Dunkerly, Jaiden Evans, Claire Riffle and Isabella Sandberg, along with freshman, Noelle Trobek. The varsity team consists of six players including the following: Jackie Adler, Noelle Trobek, Amanda Trinckes, Alsion Femia, Lena Dunkerly and Jenna Kelver.  Deer Creek Golf Course is the home of the Hubbard Girls Golf team.

This season’s first match was a tough one, states Captain Alison Femia.  Facing Poland Seminary High School on August 7th at Mill Creek Golf Course in Boardman, Hubbard took the hard loss. Shortly after, the team played in a tournament at Tamer Win Golf Course in Cortland. Since these two events, the team has played in 10 matches, splitting the outcomes. On August 30th, the team shot their lowest round of the year with a 184, tallying a conference win over Struthers, explained Captain Femia.

However, the golf team has a few more matches left in the regular season, with time for improvement.  Afterwards, Trumbull Country Club in Warren, Ohio plays host to the league championship on September 20th. Two years ago, Hubbard won the league tournament. Last year, the girls took second place.  After the league championship is over, the sectional tournament is played next, which is at Pine Lakes Golf Club in Hubbard. Hubbard came very close to advancing last year and finished in 5th place, but only the first four teams advance. After advancing at sectionals, the district tournament is played in Canton.  Finally, the ultimate goal of the season is to play at the state finals, which are held in Columbus on The Ohio State University’s campus. Hopefully, the team can advance to the district tournament and maybe even have a shot at the state title.

The girls on the team love the game and enjoy every minute of it. Junior Amanda Trinckes says, “I always try to have fun with golf. I go by the phrase “live, love, golf.”  Captain Ally Femia, senior, commented, “As a senior and captain on the golf team, I try to lead the underclassmen in the right direction, but I also try to teach them to have fun with the game.” Coach Abby Cook is currently pleased with the season and has a good feeling about the tournaments. “I feel as though we can compete at both the league and sectional tournaments.  We came so close last year in both, and this year I think we can go far. I am happy with our team’s accomplishments thus far and hope we can finish out the year strong.”

With confidence, relaxed stance and drives, and a positive attitude, the team should be able to accomplish their season goals.

Jackie Adler, Junior Staff Writer

As she starts her junior year of high school, Jackie Adler is a second-year member of the HUB. Jackie has always enjoyed writing, especially writing...

• Girls Golf Drives Forward

Sports

Girls Golf Season Roundup

• Girls Golf Drives Forward

Sports

Are the 2018 Cleveland Browns the Real Deal?

• Girls Golf Drives Forward

Sports

Boys Soccer Scores Victories

• Girls Golf Drives Forward

Sports

National Championship Game 2018

• Girls Golf Drives Forward

Sports

Boys Basketball Sets Season Goals

• Girls Golf Drives Forward

Sports

Lady Eagles Basketball Preview

• Girls Golf Drives Forward

Sports

HHS Boys Soccer Welcomes Talented Czech Player

• Girls Golf Drives Forward

Sports

Cheerleaders Display Talent and Determination

• Girls Golf Drives Forward

Sports

Lady Eagles Volleyball Opens Season Strongly

• Girls Golf Drives Forward

Sports

Eagles Football Sets 2017 Season Goals

Girls Golf Drives Forward