HHS Football Preview: Eagles Got Game

Andrew Frank, Junior Staff Writer

After a 11-2 finish to the 2018 season and losing in the Regional Finals to the Girard Indians, the Hubbard Eagles and their seniors had one goal in mind–revenge. 

And with some of the same group returning, they have high hopes. “ Although we lost a lot of key players, I really like the group returning and all the young guys who have stepped up,” said junior linebacker Kobe Krisuk, a returning starter, when asked about the team’s depth this year. Truly, the Eagles did take a lot of big losses coming into this season. They lost AAC White Tier Co-Players of the year Davion Daniels and Lukas Mosora, along with all-conference players such as Anthony Shaffer, JaQuan Odem, Ralph Morales, Mark Jones, Bray Donlow, Mario Eusanio, Seth Jones, Shannon Slovesko, and Anthony Corrin all to graduation, with the exception of Donlow, who transferred to Youngstown East for his senior year. Among these players, two were named to the WKBN Big 22 (Daniels and Mosora), three were All-Ohio players, with Mosora earning 1st-Team Defense, Odem with 2nd- Defense, and Daniels with 3rd-Team Offense. 

However, even with the Eagles losing all of these players, there are still many returning players and lots of new faces to be excited about. The Eagles are returning eight all-conference players with three on the offensive side, and five on the defensive side. These returning all-conference members include: seniors Reese Best, Joe Bednarik, Tommy Wess, Cam Resatar, Matt Scheidegger and Jermia Harris, along with junior Kobe Krisuk and sophomore Alex Goodrick. Leading the offense as quarterback will be senior Cam Resatar, who last year had 14 attempted throws, with 11 completed passes for for 226 yards and 2 touchdowns, via Maxpreps.com. On the defensive side of the ball, linebacker Tommy Wess will be returning for his senior year following his stellar junior year. Tommy earned 1st Team all-conference with 111 tackles and 7 sacks, states Maxpreps.com. 

The Eagles are also full of new faces and young players who are ready to make a name for themselves. Sophomore running back TC Caffey has earned nothing but praise from his coaches and fellow teammates after working out for the entire offseason. Seniors Jake Pantone and Ethan Patrick look to fill big holes on the defensive side, replacing Lukas Mosora and Shannon Slovesko. In the secondary, junior Brant Borawiec fills in the strong safety spot, replacing Jamie Thomson, along with fellow junior Andrew Frank making the step up as well. Frank is making his return to football after deciding not to play last season, and he is set to replace JaQuan Odem, a 2nd-Team All-Ohio Cornerback. 

The focal point of the offense will, without a doubt, be the offensive line, which consists of senior Joe Bednarik, who was 1st-Team all conference last year; senior Matt Scheidegger, a second team all-conference member; senior Reese Best, who was named to the OHSAA All-Ohio Division IV Third Team last year; sophomore Alex Goodrick, and a mix of other players such as seniors Mark Galano, Nick Matisi and Rocco Bornes, as well as junior Joe Langley. “We want to dominate the opposing team every single play,” said Joe Bednarik. Reese Best added, “ I think we are the best O-Line in this area, and it’s not even close.” They’ll be blocking for Harris and Caffey, as well as Resatar, who will be throwing to a variety of players such as seniors Nate Bencetic, Dean Thomas, and Chanze Kelly. Juniors Kobe Krisuk and Andrew Frank will also be in this mix. Helping out the linemen will be the tight ends, who consist of Wess and sophomores Mikey Zapka and Nicky Vansuch.

With a mix of veteran leadership and hungry, young players trying to prove themselves, the Eagles hope to maintain their tradition of winning. This year they play in the newly formed NE8 Conference, consisting of: Girard, Niles McKinely, Poland, Lakeview, Jefferson, Struthers, and Jefferson. Good Luck Boys!