Eagles Soar in 2019 Season: Football Recap

Andrew Frank, Junior Staff Writer

After countless hours of working in the weight room from the winter, the hot summer days conditioning down at the stadium, and two grueling weeks of camp, August 8 finally came and the Eagles were able to start their revenge tour for the 2019 season. Unfortunately for the Eagles, they traveled to Mount Union University to play the Alliance Aviators, who were also out for revenge. The Aviators returned almost all their starters from their 7-3 team, and along with a blocked field goal and extra point, they topped the Eagles 17-13. “It was a rude awakening…” said Junior Offensive Lineman Joe Langley, “…they played us extremely tough and physical.”

The Eagles put their loss behind them and focused on fixing the little mistakes and after a hard week of practice, Hubbard welcomed the Howland Tigers for their home opener, and after a tightly contested game, where either side could not pull ahead, the game went into overtime. Howland got the ball first, and after a defensive tip on 3rd & 5 by Junior Cornerback Andrew Frank, the Eagles defense stood their ground on 4th down and put the fate of the game into their offense, and they did not disappoint. On 3rd & 2, Senior Quarterback Cam Resatar kept the ball himself and dove into the endzone for the game-winning touchdown.

Head Coach Brian Hoffman told the team that they would build off the Howland win and set a tone for the rest of the season, and they did just that. Hubbard welcomed 2-0 East Cleveland Shaw the following week and shut them out 21-0. The next week would prove to be the biggest test for the Eagles team as they traveled to Struthers to play the Wildcats. “It was a must win game,” said Junior Linebacker Kobe Krisuk, “this game meant a lot for the conference and region, and they’re a tough team.” The Eagles put together their best week of practice yet and put the rest of the league on notice after beating the Wildcats, the favorite to win the conference, by a score of 22-16. “It’s the best feeling, coming in as the Underdog and beating them on their home field.” said Restar, who score the go ahead touchdown with 1:17 left in the 4th quarter. The Eagles defense played well and on 4th down stopped Struthers Quarterback Tyrese Hawkins on a scramble attempt as the clock hit zero. 

The next two weeks the Eagles would cruise to victories against Jefferson and Lakeview, scoring 69 points and holding their opponents to 15 points over both games. Week 7 would prove to be a tough one, as the Girard Indians came to town, the same team that ended Hubbard’s last season in the Regional Finals. The Eagles were laser-focused the entire week leading up to Girard; they wanted revenge. Hubbard got off to a rough start, with the first play of the game going for a Indians Touchdown, but they battled back and went up 14-13 in the 4th quarter after a botched extra-point attempt by the Indians. By this time, Junior Kobe Krisuk took over quarterback responsibilities for the injured Cam Resatar. Krisuk put together a good drive marching down the field, but penalties and missed opportunities caused the drive to stall and the Eagles to turn it over on downs. Girard then drove down the field and kicked the go-ahead field goal with 0:04 left in the game to lift them above Hubbard 16-14. “We have to put it behind us; we got three more important games that we have to win,” said Sophomore Running Back TC Caffey.

The Eagles bounced back the next week, beating the Niles McKinley Red Dragons 14-3 behind Krisuk’s 117 rushing yards and a touchdown. All attention for the Hubbard players and coaches was then focused on Poland, with a chance to share the NE8 conference title at stake. The Eagles however, didn’t play to their full potential and lost to the Bulldogs 42-7, “It wasn’t anywhere near our best game; primarily, we didn’t execute properly,” said Senior wide receiver Chanze Kelly.

The Eagles then put all their attention and focus on South Range, the last regular season game of the year. The Raiders had to win to get into the playoffs, so they gave it their all. “They played super physical,” said Junior Brant Boraweic, “they treated it as a playoff game.” Hubbard tried to sustain a comeback in the 4th quarter, but the Raiders’s early lead proved to be too much, and the Eagles lost 36-13, and ended the season 6-4.

With the regular season over, the Eagles begin their quest for a state title, coming into the OHSAA Division IV Region 13 playoffs as the 6th seed. They’ll face the 3rd seeded Redskins of Indian Creek, a team they beat in the 1st round of last year’s playoffs. “We feel we have a real good chance to go down there and pull off an upset,” said Krisuk, “Its Hubbard against the world.”

Pictures- Mrs. Megan Schellhorn: The Bard