HHS Eagles Football Season Recap

Andrew Frank, Senior Staff Writer

The 2020-2021 High School football season proved to be an odd one. In the midst of a global pandemic, things were not going to look normal. For the Hubbard Eagles, it was announced by the OHSAA that they would play a 6 game schedule, all conference games, and make the playoffs no matter their record. The 6 regular season games were a grain of salt compared to the normal 10 game season, but Eagles, especially their seniors, were just happy to be out there playing the game they love. “It sucks, but it’s better than nothing. I’m just grateful we can play any games,” said Senior Captain Kobe Krisuk. 

The Eagles started the season at home against Struthers, where even after multiple weather delays, the Eagles came out victorious over the Wildcats 14-7. The following week, the Eagles traveled to Ashtabula County to face the Jefferson Falcons. “We went into the week thinking we were going to blow them out, but we were not mentally prepared,” stated Senior Captain Joe Langley. The Eagles narrowly escaped the Falcons 21-16, after making a goal line stand with 32 seconds remaining. The Eagles regrouped and focused on the next opponent, the Lakeview Bulldogs, whom the Eagles crushed, 42-0. Week 4 looked to be the Eagles first true test, the Girard Indians, who beat the Eagles the year before on a game winning field goal as time expired. The Eagles, led by junior running back TC Caffey and his  293 yards and 2 touchdowns, cruised to a 25-7 win.

Just like that, the Eagles were 4-0, exceeding many people’s expectations. However, the next two weeks proved to be the Eagles biggest challenges of the season: the Poland Bulldogs and South Range Raiders. The Poland-Hubbard matchup was locally televised on WKBN as “Game of the Week”’. The Eagles, however, were injury ridden with their first and second string quarterbacks, Seniors Kobe Krisuk and Evan Jarvis, both out with injuries. This meant Sophomore quarterback, Nick Hendrix, had to make his first career varsity start. Hendrix played a great game despite the circumstances, but the Eagles lost the game 28-0. They still had a shot at a share of the conference the following week against South Range, but fell short 44-14. This led to the ending their regular season, 4-2.

A new season began for the Eagle: the playoffs. The Eagles earned the 9th seed in the OHSAA Division III Region 9, etching a first round matchup with the Alliance Aviators, a team who beat them 17-14 a year prior. The game proved to be a shootout, with the Eagles topping the Aviators 42-38, to survive until the next round. In the second round, it would be a battle of the Eagles, as Hubbard traveled up to Spire Institute in Geneva to play against the Geneva Eagles. Hubbard owned Geneva in the first half, but after a long Geneva third quarter drive and a few turnovers, Hubbard found themselves on the wrong end of the scoreboard. They ended up losing 22-19 in heartbreaking fashion. The Eagles’ season ended there, as  there were no more makeup games, which meant the end of the 2020-2021 Hubbard Eagles football season. Although strange, it gave the people of Hubbard something to look forward to next year, as the 2021-2022 Eagles team looks to be a special one.