Homework Avoidance: The Top Ten Worst Excuses

Kaitlyn McCarthy, Sophomore Staff Writer

Everyone at one point in their academic career  has had that moment of walking into class and realizing that he or she forgot to do the homework from last night. Almost every time, the teacher asks why the student didn’t do it in front of everyone in the class. Of course a student doesn’t want to say that he or she forgot to do it, or that the particular student was just too lazy to even look at it. Instead, the “creative” student thinks that it’s best to come up with an excuse that is most likely unbelievable to the teacher. Maybe the student wants the teacher to believe that on that same night, he or she happened to be playing with matches while working on homework or in an unbelievable burst of energy, that same student cleaned out his or her backpack and misplaced it. None of these excuses are actually credible. It happens in every school, including Hubbard–homework avoidance.

So, this reporter went around Hubbard to find out what the ten worst excuses were. After interviewing three dozen students, I formulated this list, which made the final cut:  1) “I lost it,” suggested Megan Scutillo, senior;  2) “I was too busy on social media,” suggested Antoinette Arci, junior.  How about something much more creative?  3) “My room caught on fire,” suggested Samantha May, sophomore;  4) “My dog ate it,” explained Mr. Chris Moriarity, English teacher, who has apparently tried to avoid homework at least once in his student lifetime as well;  5) “I forgot to ask my parents to do it for me,” stated Claire Riffle, freshman.  This reporter believes that a suggestion like this would certainly prompt another kind of lecture from any teacher.

Now we’re down to the top five:  6) “My mom accidentally threw it away,” suggested Maddie Morosky, sophomore;  7) “My sister’s friend’s mother’s grandpa’s brother’s grandson’s uncle’s fish died,” created Jenna Kelver, junior.  It would be tough to memorize the ancestry in that one.  Or how about:   8) “It slipped out of my hands and blew away,” stated Sarah Salata, freshman;  9) “I dropped it in the toilet,” offered Amber Lissimore, senior; and last but not least:  10) “My house got robbed and the only thing they took was my bookbag,” suggested Brock Lopuchovsky, sophomore.

This reporter, and probably all the students above, know however that excuses for not doing homework don’t get anyone anywhere. It really is just better to say that one forgot it rather than make up some elaborate excuse. Most teachers don’t negatively judge a student who occasionally forgets to turn in his/her homework, but there will be consequences– a zero for that particular assignment, or half credit if completed late.

So this reporter offers a valuable lesson:  When a student is assigned a task, he/she should complete it. Excuses are not going to get one a better grade. Part of adulthood is learning to cope with the realization that everyone is responsible for his/her actions, and excuses are never exceptional, only regrettable.

Kaitlyn McCarthy, Junior Staff Writer

Just starting her junior year at Hubbard High School, Kaitlyn McCarthy is a second-year returning HUB staff member. She hopes the HUB will give her...

• Homework Avoidance: The Top Ten Worst Excuses

Student Life

It’s a Small World After All

Student Life

What Characteristics Make the Perfect Student?

Student Life

Five Dangerous Teen Trends

Student Life

Band’s Performance Shows Musical Pride

Student Life

ACT vs. SAT: Which Test to Take?

Student Life

Fave Musical Genres at HHS

Student Life

Valentine’s Day: Expectations vs. Reality

Student Life

Particular Points on Pizza

Student Life

Senior Points to Ponder as Graduation Approaches

Student Life

Which High School Clique Classifies You?