Good Application/Scholarship Essay can guarantee College Acceptance

Melody Castner, Junior Staff Writer

Applying for scholarships is a must for many high school students. During the process of researching and applying, many students discover the need to write an essay for their application. Many scholarship donors use these essays to get a better feel for the candidate and to see a candidate’s plans for his/her college career. These essays play a major role when admissions committees select the scholarship recipient, so it is extremely important to write an effective essay.

When writing this essay, an applicant should always keep in mind the directions and guidelines provided by the scholarship committee. Following these specifications will lead the writer to success. The applicant needs to make his/her essay stand out from the others and catch the attention of the reader.  HHS Guidance Counselor Mrs. Toni Haidaris says,  “It’s important to keep it simple, and don’t overdo it”.  This recommendation can be a challenge for some students, making a simple but outstanding essay. “You just have to keep it concise and to the point,” says the guidance officer. “It is important to put your best effort into the essay, as this will give you a better chance of receiving the scholarship.”

To start out, the applying student should make an outline of his/her thoughts and organize them in an effective manner.  Mrs. Haidaris emphasized that the writer must “check to make sure you have answered the given prompt”. Remember not to digress. This will divert the reader’s attention, and possibly negatively affect the application or scholarship decision. Remember, this is a competition among very many students, so eliminations can emanate from some simple detail.  Be certain to have a main point, and focus all your other ideas around this point.

Another important factor is for the applicant to be interested in what he/she is writing about. Readers can tell when a person is passionate about something, and this passion is reflected in the applicant’s writing. Make the essay resemble the applicant as his/her interests as much as possible. This will help distinguish the applicant from the others.

Collegeboard.org stresses the importance of developing the essay in three clearly definable parts: an introduction, several body paragraphs, and a conclusion. This site also recommends that applicants find a creative angle to “sell” themselves. “Katherine, an applying college freshman, had to describe why she would make a good Reed College student for that school’s essay.  She wrote ‘I am a huge fan of Beat Generation writers, and many of the West Coast Beat writers attended Reed,’ she says. ‘So I related my love for writing and the Beats to why I would be a great fit for the school.’ ”

One of the most important things to remember is to spell and grammar check the essay draft. These are small things, but they are very noticeable to readers. These small mistakes could cost someone thousands of dollars in scholarship rewards or lack of admission to college. Always ask somebody to proofread the work as it’s hard to be objective about one’s own essay. “Most importantly do it yourself!” Emphasized Mrs Haidaris. “Scholarship  and Admissions Committees can tell the difference between a 17 year old’s writing and that of a 40 year old.”

All of the above are important tips to remember when you start writing the particular essay that may open the door to your future dreams.

Source: https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/get-in/essays/8-tips-for-crafting-your-best-college-essay

Melody Castner, Junior Staff Writer
Melody Castner is a junior at Hubbard High School. This is her first year on the HUB staff. Melody joined the HUB because she is interested in sharing her thoughts with her peers and wants to improve her writing ability.  Melody hopes to write about topics that interest both her and the students at Hubbard...
  • Good Application/Scholarship Essay can guarantee College Acceptance

Student Life

Valentine’s Day: Expectations vs. Reality

Student Life

Particular Points on Pizza

Student Life

Senior Points to Ponder as Graduation Approaches

Student Life

Which High School Clique Classifies You?

Student Life

Teen’s Fav Choice is Chick-fil-A

Student Life

Ten Ways to Cope with Peer Pressure

Student Life

The True Nature of Acceptance

Student Life

Are Teens Taking Longer to Grow Up?

Student Life

iX or 8? Which iPhone Appeals to You?

Student Life

Popularity Comes with a Price