Which High School Clique Classifies You?

Cassie Herberger, Sophomore Staff Writer

Everyone knows that segregation is bad, right?  We have understood the negative aspects of this term since the 1960’s.  However, there is one institution where social segregation reigns supreme; you guessed it, right? High School.

Every high school is made up of many groups or cliques, whose main motive is to stand united and isolate others who don’t appear to fit in their group.  Some of the more popular labels for these cliques here at HHS are: jocks, populars, gamers, loners, stoners/skaters, and the group that we all turn to, the brains. Every group contains several people who don’t interact outside of their circle of friends, and every group tends to ridicule, mock or ostracize the other groups. Please ask yourself:  Is this how I want to spend my  four years in high school? It’s something to consider.

In a public school these groups are larger and often more effective because there are more students. Each group does not normally interact with the other, unless they need something done for their own personal benefit. For example, the jocks do not interact with the brains unless they need homework answers or help on a test. Typically, the populars and jocks tend to be more outgoing, charismatic  and occasionally mean to others, often including people in their clique. The gamers, loners, and brains are normally more reserved and like to keep to themselves.

The gamers typically fit a certain stereotype: at home, they  like to stay in their rooms where it is dark and play video games while talking to their friends over the mic. They easily get mad if something disastrous happens to them in the video game and rage, then quit the game. Sophomore Chanze Kelley labels himself as a typical gamer. He is always playing the newest games.  He states, “I like to stay up late on weekends just to play the games I like against my friends. I usually win”!

The loners are often found walking by themselves in the hallways toting book loads. They are also found in the school bathrooms sitting on the ground, all alone.  However, they don’t view this isolation as a negative; most prefer life that way.  Sophomore Payton Demyen likes to consider herself as a loner. She explains, “I hate being brought into drama. So I usually keep my thoughts to myself.  My friends like to joke around, telling me that I hate people.”  

The brains are the ones who are always in the hallways rushing to get to their next class. They never get lower than an A, and they obsess constantly about their class rank and gpa. They tell corny math and chemistry jokes and usually know the answer to everything.  Sophomore Kelly Frazier likes to classify herself as a brain. She remarked, “On weekends most people prefer to see the newest movies, but I prefer documentaries.”  

The jocks are always the athletic type. One can find them playing football or basketball–their sports of choice, and the male jocks like to impress the girls. A typical stereotype is that they are not that bright and don’t get good grades.  However, there are many who break that mold, like junior Davion Daniels, HHS’s quarterback who is also a student in Honors 11.  Add to that list junior Adria Powell who just received a full ride to OSU for volleyball, and is also an Honors 11 student.  In the tenth grade, football player Reese Best claims that he accurately fits the example of a jock. He said, “I’m big and I work hard to score for my team.  You can usually find me at the gym doing my workout for the day.”

One last clique this writer will characterize is labeled as the populars. This group of teens tends to wear designer clothing, and are never far from their phones or social media. They are more than likely cheerleaders–but not always. Senior Megan Learn would be classified as one of the populars. She states, “I try to be friend with everyone! I always tell them to hit me up on snapchat.”  Some say that the populars can sometimes get away with a lighter punishment than others, but this may be a misperception on the part of the other cliques.  Sometimes it’s not until a teen’s junior or senior year before he or she realizes that being labeled as part of the popular crowd is really not that important if it means changing one’s basic personality or goals in order to fit in.

An online source explains the background on “cliques” as a term.  “For the etymology nerds out there, the word “clique” is, perhaps unsurprisingly, of French origin. It’s derived from the French claque, which in modern times basically translates to ‘a band of political followers.’ “  While high school cliques may not be based on party affiliations, they are certainly political.  There are rules and policies, administrators and enforcers, that apply to each.  Since every student must spend four years in this atmosphere, it’s best to recognize each of these groups for what they are, and perhaps then, learn to value his/her independence all the more.

Cassie Herberger, Junior Staff Writer
Cassady Herberger, or Cassie as she is often called, is entering  her junior year at Hubbard High School. This is her second year as a HUB staff member. She is interested in the HUB mainly because she enjoys writing and is excited about improving her writing skills; her primary focus is writing sports articles. She...
  • Which High School Clique Classifies You?

Student Life

Band’s Performance Shows Musical Pride

Student Life

ACT vs. SAT: Which Test to Take?

Student Life

Fave Musical Genres at HHS

Student Life

Valentine’s Day: Expectations vs. Reality

Student Life

Particular Points on Pizza

Student Life

Senior Points to Ponder as Graduation Approaches

Student Life

Teen’s Fav Choice is Chick-fil-A

Student Life

Ten Ways to Cope with Peer Pressure

Student Life

The True Nature of Acceptance

Student Life

Good Application/Scholarship Essay can guarantee College Acceptance