Particular Points on Pizza

Anthony Corrin, Junior Staff Writer

As Americans, we love our pizza, and the toppings we choose to put on our pizza.  Here are some fun facts about pizza that I’ll bet you didn’t know, according to an online source:

• October is National Pizza Month. It was first so designated in 1987.
  • Americans eat approximately 100 acres of pizza each day, or 350 slices per second.
  • Pizza is a $30 billion per year industry.
  • There are approximately 61,269 pizzerias in the United States. (Source: American Business Lists, Omaha, Nebraska).
  • Each man, woman and child in America eats an average of 46 slices (23 pounds) of pizza a year (source: Packaged Facts, New York).
  • Approximately 3 billion pizzas are sold in the U.S. each year.
  • Pepperoni is America’s favorite topping (36 percent of all pizza orders); we eat approximately 251,770,000 pounds per year. Other popular pizza toppings are mushrooms, extra cheese, sausage, green pepper and onion.
  • According to a recent Gallup Poll, kids between the ages of 3-11 prefer pizza over all other food groups for lunch and dinner.

Sometimes, people get a little creative with pizza topping choices, and sometimes these choices are disastrous.  According to sources, “In America, anchovies always rank last on the list of favorite toppings.” Additionally, some combinations with pizza can get bizarre.  Have you ever heard of a salad pizza? These are nicknamed “pizz’alads”, according to sources. This combination is defined as “A pizza that took the goodness of pizza-a thin crackly crust, the mmmm-inducing pungency of melted cheese-and combined it with the snap of lettuce and the virtues of farm-fresh vegetables.”  Weird combination, right?  But maybe not so weird for some.  

This reporter determined to discover the five least favorite pizza toppings or combinations here at Hubbard High School by surveying three junior classes or roughly 55 students.  To start off, the five worst toppings mentioned that came up were sausage, peppers, mushrooms, anchovies, and pineapples.  Some of those may surprise you. However, only 8% of the students surveyed said sausage and peppers were the worst; while 14% of students surveyed said pineapple on pizza tasted horrible.  A whopping 27% of students surveyed said that mushrooms were the worst, and 43% of students surveyed said anchovies were nauseating. One junior, Max Korenyi-Both, who also works at Belleria Pizzeria confirmed that  “Anchovies are the worst; I don’t even like to touch them.” Yet in European countries, like Italy, anchovies are a popular choice.

There was some disagreement with the toppings on this list, however. Mikey VanSuch, a student at Hubbard exclaimed: “You guys are crazy, pineapples are the best on a pizza!” His comment goes to show that individual choice is the main ingredient in creating a popular pizza.

Pizza is, and probably will always be, a popular food here in the United States. Since the U.S. celebrates freedom of choice as part of our Constitution, go ahead and experiment with different pizza types–thin or thick, white sauce or red.  And experiment as well with different pizza toppings. Diversity is good, and that’s what we celebrate in America after all.

Source: https://www.thepizzajoint.com/pizzafacts.html

Anthony Corrin, Senior Staff Writer
  • Anthony is a second year staff writer entering his senior year at HHS. He joined the HUB to strengthen his writing and interviewing skills. Anthony has interest in sports and world events. He is excited to write about both community and professional sports events.
  • Anthony is an involved student. This is his third year playing football and his fourth year playing baseball. Along with the HUB, Anthony is treasurer of Student Council,  a three-year member of Spanish Club, a member of the “You Got a Friend in Me” Club, and is also senior class historian. Anthony is also enrolled to take CCP classes on Youngstown State University’s campus this school year.
  • After high school, Anthony plans on attending the University of Akron to pursue an accounting degree in hopes of getting into the F.B.I. He is excited for this year on the HUB and anxious to be writing interesting and entertaining articles. His favorite thing about the school news site is the ability to freely write about almost anything he has an interest in.
  • Particular Points on Pizza

Student Life

Band’s Performance Shows Musical Pride

• Particular Points on Pizza

Student Life

ACT vs. SAT: Which Test to Take?

• Particular Points on Pizza

Student Life

Fave Musical Genres at HHS

• Particular Points on Pizza

Student Life

Valentine’s Day: Expectations vs. Reality

• Particular Points on Pizza

Student Life

Senior Points to Ponder as Graduation Approaches

• Particular Points on Pizza

Student Life

Which High School Clique Classifies You?

• Particular Points on Pizza

Student Life

Teen’s Fav Choice is Chick-fil-A

• Particular Points on Pizza

Student Life

Ten Ways to Cope with Peer Pressure

• Particular Points on Pizza

Student Life

The True Nature of Acceptance

• Particular Points on Pizza

Student Life

Good Application/Scholarship Essay can guarantee College Acceptance

Particular Points on Pizza