Particular Points on Pizza

Anthony Corrin, Junior Staff Writer

As Americans, we love our pizza, and the toppings we choose to put on our pizza.  Here are some fun facts about pizza that I’ll bet you didn’t know, according to an online source:

• October is National Pizza Month. It was first so designated in 1987.
  • Americans eat approximately 100 acres of pizza each day, or 350 slices per second.
  • Pizza is a $30 billion per year industry.
  • There are approximately 61,269 pizzerias in the United States. (Source: American Business Lists, Omaha, Nebraska).
  • Each man, woman and child in America eats an average of 46 slices (23 pounds) of pizza a year (source: Packaged Facts, New York).
  • Approximately 3 billion pizzas are sold in the U.S. each year.
  • Pepperoni is America’s favorite topping (36 percent of all pizza orders); we eat approximately 251,770,000 pounds per year. Other popular pizza toppings are mushrooms, extra cheese, sausage, green pepper and onion.
  • According to a recent Gallup Poll, kids between the ages of 3-11 prefer pizza over all other food groups for lunch and dinner.

Sometimes, people get a little creative with pizza topping choices, and sometimes these choices are disastrous.  According to sources, “In America, anchovies always rank last on the list of favorite toppings.” Additionally, some combinations with pizza can get bizarre.  Have you ever heard of a salad pizza? These are nicknamed “pizz’alads”, according to sources. This combination is defined as “A pizza that took the goodness of pizza-a thin crackly crust, the mmmm-inducing pungency of melted cheese-and combined it with the snap of lettuce and the virtues of farm-fresh vegetables.”  Weird combination, right?  But maybe not so weird for some.  

This reporter determined to discover the five least favorite pizza toppings or combinations here at Hubbard High School by surveying three junior classes or roughly 55 students.  To start off, the five worst toppings mentioned that came up were sausage, peppers, mushrooms, anchovies, and pineapples.  Some of those may surprise you. However, only 8% of the students surveyed said sausage and peppers were the worst; while 14% of students surveyed said pineapple on pizza tasted horrible.  A whopping 27% of students surveyed said that mushrooms were the worst, and 43% of students surveyed said anchovies were nauseating. One junior, Max Korenyi-Both, who also works at Belleria Pizzeria confirmed that  “Anchovies are the worst; I don’t even like to touch them.” Yet in European countries, like Italy, anchovies are a popular choice.

There was some disagreement with the toppings on this list, however. Mikey VanSuch, a student at Hubbard exclaimed: “You guys are crazy, pineapples are the best on a pizza!” His comment goes to show that individual choice is the main ingredient in creating a popular pizza.

Pizza is, and probably will always be, a popular food here in the United States. Since the U.S. celebrates freedom of choice as part of our Constitution, go ahead and experiment with different pizza types–thin or thick, white sauce or red.  And experiment as well with different pizza toppings. Diversity is good, and that’s what we celebrate in America after all.

Source: https://www.thepizzajoint.com/pizzafacts.html

• Particular Points on Pizza

Top Stories

Very Superstitious

• Particular Points on Pizza

Top Stories

Should Sex Determine Military Service?

• Particular Points on Pizza

Top Stories

Conspiracy Theories Part Three: Mind Control Mania

• Particular Points on Pizza

Top Stories

The Five Highest and Five Lowest Paying College Majors

• Particular Points on Pizza

Top Stories

No Sports Totally Safe for Student Athletes

• Particular Points on Pizza

Top Stories

What to Do in a Winter Wonderland

• Particular Points on Pizza

Top Stories

Life Doesn’t Imitate Art: Ten Lies We Learn from TV Dating Shows

• Particular Points on Pizza

Top Stories

Conspiracy Theories Part Two: The Pentagon UFO Video-Is it ET or the Military?

• Particular Points on Pizza

Top Stories

The Down and Dirty on Eating Disorders

• Particular Points on Pizza

Top Stories

Does Technology Isolate Teens?

Particular Points on Pizza