Homecoming a Hit in 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Homecoming a Hit in 2018

Melody Castner, Editor-in-Chief

Each fall, at every high school in the nation, students excitedly anticipate one event: is it that special new classe? No.  New friendships? No. Getting to know their new teachers? Absolutely not. The one fall event that all high school students look forward to with anticipation is…Homecoming.

Homecoming was a big excitement for all HHS students, and as Senior Lily Sinopoli remarks, “It was one for the books!” All the festivities began when the homecoming court was announced. Each grade was able to select one male and one female to represent their class at the dance. The seniors selected three females and males for the 2018 Homecoming Court. This year the freshman attendants were: Julia Palumbo and Jake Hoover; the sophomore attendants were: Taylor Perline and Joe Langley; and the junior attendants were: Sogol Nasseri and Dean Esmail. This year’s Homecoming queen candidates were: Ramiah Givens, Chelsea Murphy, and Destiny Watson. King candidates included: Prestin Allen, Aidan Hacker, and Davion Daniels. The whole school then voted on the queen and king.

The event took place on Saturday, September, 29th at the Mahoning Country Club, with a buffet dinner provided. On the Friday before the dance, there was a homecoming pep rally and students wore shirts to represent their favorite king and queen candidates. The annual homecoming football game and parade also took place that same evening. This year Hubbard played Niles, and won with a score of 37-0.  During pre-game, the attendendants and homecoming court walked onto the field, and the king and queen were announced. Queen candidate Chelsea Murphy stated, “I am so excited that I was selected for court! I cannot wait to have a fun time at the dance!” King candidate Prestin Allen remarked, “I think it’s cool” to be nominated for king. The 2017 king, Devin Lewis and queen, Lauryn Laney were there to crown the new king and queen. The 2018 King and Queen selected were Ramiah Givens and Prestin Allen.

Saturday was the big day, and it was filled with all the excitement a dance and dress up brings.  Many girls enjoyed getting pampered all day. This year the SADD club (Students against Destructive Decisions) hosted a new event for all high school girls. From noon-3pm, they  provided services to girls who needed help getting ready for the dance. Club advisor Miss Mary Davis remarked, “I think it will be a good relationship building event.” SADD invited all girls to come hangout and get ready together with light refreshments and snacks. The event went very well, and the club intends to host it again in years to come.

Overall, students enjoyed homecoming this year. Was there unexpected drama? Of course, but that’s part of the fun of it all. It seem that many people especially enjoyed the new venue. Senior Leslie Summers stated, “It was nicer than places we had homecoming before, and the dance floor was much bigger!” The food was also a big hit; senior Jeremy Flynn said, “It was much better than the food we’ve had in the past.” Seeing everyone dressed up and having a good time is what students enjoyed the most–even teacher chaperones were impressed.  Students are getting excited for upcoming dances this year, and of course, they are already discussing next year’s homecoming event.

Melody Castner, Editor-in-Chief

Entering her senior year at Hubbard high school, Melody Castner is returning to the HUB as Editor-in-Chief this year. Melody joined the HUB because...

• Homecoming a Hit in 2018

Student Life

Should Students Have Assigned Parking Spaces?

• Homecoming a Hit in 2018

Student Life

Students Personalize their Rides by Naming

• Homecoming a Hit in 2018

Student Life

Are Clothing Discount Sites Like Zaful and Shein Worth the Risk?

• Homecoming a Hit in 2018

Student Life

Social Media: Are We Addicted?

• Homecoming a Hit in 2018

Student Life

It’s a Small World After All

• Homecoming a Hit in 2018

Student Life

What Characteristics Make the Perfect Student?

• Homecoming a Hit in 2018

Student Life

Five Dangerous Teen Trends

• Homecoming a Hit in 2018

Student Life

Band’s Performance Shows Musical Pride

• Homecoming a Hit in 2018

Student Life

ACT vs. SAT: Which Test to Take?

• Homecoming a Hit in 2018

Student Life

Fave Musical Genres at HHS

Homecoming a Hit in 2018