Social Media: Are We Addicted?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Social Media: Are We Addicted?

Anna Pogacnik, Sophomore Staff Writer

Social media is all around us every single day. Most of us wake up and go to sleep with our glowing phones; in the middle of the night we may  check Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook and any other social media platforms that we frequently use. Granted, social media is an easy way to keep up with what’s going on in the world, but could this dependence be hurting us at the same time?  Are we addicted to social media? Is this potential addiction contributing to health problems and obesity in our society? Or is it impacting lives in a positive way?

It’s no doubt that ever since technology became a dominant force in everyone’s lives, we have all become a little more lazy. Sometimes we check our phones for a simple thing, such as the weather, but then end up watching that new Netflix series that everyone is talking about. Junior, Sydney Ford agrees saying,  “Sometimes I use my phone to look up something for school, but end up on Instagram for an hour.” This is very common and happens to almost everyone, so does this mean that we are addicted to social media?

Dr. Nerina Ramlakhan is part of a research team in central London that has been studying the addictive behaviors relating to technology and social media that are present in society. Of the patients she has studied so far, there is a common theme relating to lack of sleep. Dr. Ramlakhan states, “The thing many of my patients have in common is the fact that they are in front of screens all the time. Even when they try to sleep at night. It has become so pervasive.” Dr. Ramlakhan believes that there are some people who are somewhat addicted to social media, but not everyone. “Technology has become such a huge part of our lives that it is hard for anyone to not look at a screen at least once throughout one’s day.” said Ramlakhan.

Another issue with us becoming so dependent on technology, is whether or not it is contributing to health problems and obesity. Many studies have continued to show that technology is definitely affecting health in many ways, including obesity. But luckily, by stopping your engagement on a cell phone or computer for at least thirty minutes a day and exercising in that time, many of these health issues should disappear, according to studies done so far.

“Social media can also be a very positive outlet for creativity and inspiration,” states junior, Kaitlyn McCarthy. This is statement is very true because social media is a good platform to read and share inspiring stories and talk to friends outside of school. Many of us love checking our phones to see what our friends our up to or what happened over night, and that’s not a bad thing at all. Technology and social media aren’t going away anytime soon, so by managing your time and taking breaks away from your phone or computer, you can still enjoy all that social media has to offer without becoming “addicted”.

Source: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160126110759.htm

Anna Pogacnik, Sophomore Staff Writer

Anna Pogacnik is a sophomore at Hubbard High School. As a first-year member of the HUB, Anna hopes to better her writing skills by writing about interesting...

• Social Media: Are We Addicted?

Student Life

It’s a Small World After All

• Social Media: Are We Addicted?

Student Life

What Characteristics Make the Perfect Student?

• Social Media: Are We Addicted?

Student Life

Five Dangerous Teen Trends

• Social Media: Are We Addicted?

Student Life

Band’s Performance Shows Musical Pride

• Social Media: Are We Addicted?

Student Life

ACT vs. SAT: Which Test to Take?

• Social Media: Are We Addicted?

Student Life

Fave Musical Genres at HHS

• Social Media: Are We Addicted?

Student Life

Valentine’s Day: Expectations vs. Reality

• Social Media: Are We Addicted?

Student Life

Particular Points on Pizza

• Social Media: Are We Addicted?

Student Life

Senior Points to Ponder as Graduation Approaches

• Social Media: Are We Addicted?

Student Life

Which High School Clique Classifies You?

Social Media: Are We Addicted?